My most anticipating iOS 5 feature

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mwxiao, Aug 4, 2011.

1. mwxiao macrumors regular

is PC/Mac free.

Finally I don't have to use iTunes to sync anymore. I never understand why iTunes needs to store "App" which iTunes can't open anyway. And iTunes always pointlessly shows how many updates there are for my apps.

It's about time. Can't wait!

2. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Once you being to use iOS 5, the muti-touch gestures will become your favorite feature. :) I rarely ever touch the home button anymore.

However, what you mentioned will be VERY much welcomed.

3. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

4. mwxiao thread starter macrumors regular

I wouldn't mind if Apple steals from webOS and use cards to switch between apps...

5. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I think that iCloud will become, easily, the most revolutionary feature.

Not just the way it will allow you to acces music, photos, and movies. Apple has made cloud storage APIs available to iOS developers, and I think you are going to see all sorts of Apps take advantage of the Cloud in ways we haven't anticipated. The Apple APIs allow storage not just of documents but also key value data. Considering how difficult it is for a developer to implement this sort of functionality from scratch, I think a lot of developers are going to take advantage of it.

6. BruiserBear macrumors 6502a

I cannot see what is so exciting about iCloud. Unless you're some sort of music hoarder who feels the need to have access to every single song you own or something.

What I'm excited about are the simple improvements to functionality of the device, and for me the tabbed browsing is the biggest improvement, because frankly the browser is the thing I use the most on the iPad.

7. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

PC-less syncing and upgrading.

My PC at home will become strictly a media server/backup runner every night. The only reason I ever log into it now is to back up my ipad and iphone.

oh.....and iMessage

8. brettatk macrumors regular

You'll still need your PC/Mac to an extent. You have to let it know what to sync. So if you selectively sync movies for example, you'd need to get on your computer and tell it what to sync. But at least you will not need your iPad attached to the computer any longer, that part will indeed be nice.

9. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Well, I already have it set to automatically download any stuff that I buy, so I don't even need it for that anymore. And iCloud will do daily device backups, so I won't need to rely on it for that either. Remember--when iCloud officially launches, the computer is just another device in the list, not a central hub.

I also have a scheduled task set to run every night that backs up ALL of my iTunes media (no matter what is in there), all of our pictures/movies/non iTunes content. There hopefully won't be any more setup for me to worry about.

I will still need the PC for the occasional video that is not supported by my iPad. I also do have one program on my PC that is not available on iPad (yet).

10. snow blind macrumors regular

I'm with you on this. Might appeal to those media-OCD type people who, like you mentioned, need instant access to all the data they have on storage... but to the average user, meh. I'm not excited at all for iOS5... gestures and wireless sync are nice but there is no "wow" feature.

11. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

For Me

It will be the gesturing and tabbed browsing in Safari. The sync free feature will be nice, but you kind of get used to itnafter a few years. :)

12. Carouser macrumors 65816

I don't know if it's my most anticipated feature, but iCloud is amazing. I can fire up any device at any time and have my work and media ready at hand, without even having to move files around to where I need them. It's exactly the opposite of 'OCD-type' or hoarding behavior :)rolleyes:) since it frees users from seeing their devices as GB bins to fill with stuff and from futzing with organizing what info is where. Those who see iCloud as external WiFi storage just don't get it (as they themselves admit). I can see it developing to the point where it just mirrors workspaces across devices. File transfer could become a borderline meaningless concept.

13. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

14. skittles90623 macrumors regular

15. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

I am excited for Safari tabbed browsing and iCloud the most. I own a MacBook Air and iPhone 4 along side my iPad 2 so it would be nice to have everything work in unison and be synced.

16. wurgi macrumors member

This! It's incredible how much it changed the way I use the iPad. I cannot think of using it without them now. Too convenient.

17. JustinDaigle macrumors member

Two things.

A. The PC-free thing is great, except if you have to restore. Actually, I think this is going to do more harm than good. Telling people they'll never need a desktop/laptop to keep their devices operational is misleading. In order to really make this work, Apple would need to place a read-only chip in the devices containing the device's original firmware, so you really can restore using nothing else. Although this would defeat SHSH checks, so it's never gonna happen.

B. The multitasking gestures are great on the iPad; I've been using them since 4.3. Now if only I could use them on my iPhone. :(

18. swedefish macrumors 6502

I can't wait for the split keyboard in portrait. I always use my iPad in portrait but the current keyboard is a mess to use.

19. Mochi Hana macrumors 6502a

Mochi Hana

I'm looking forward to the new notification system most.

20. jsan1 macrumors member

21. shandyman Suspended

iCloud is not just music and videos, it's whole iPad/iPhone backups to restore from, photostream, contacts/calenders/reminders synced across all my devices, my pc and laptop. it's brill. Was really cool to set up my iPad from an iCloud restore, had my settings there in minutes with all my apps in folders in the positions i had them in before.

22. BruiserBear macrumors 6502a

I almost forgot about that feature! I'm more excited about that for my phone though.

23. saberahul macrumors 68040

For me its iCloud, especially the automatic document syncing between iWork applications. Cannot wait until my GTD apps get this incorporated as I hate pressing the sync button or using a 3rd party solution like toodledo to sync between GTD apps. Photos too... and I guess wireless syncing. It's annoying putting a movie in iTunes and then pulling out a cable from the charge port only to sync it.

24. megsandbytes macrumors member

totally agree, there's a lot of cool new features with iOS 5 but iCloud certainly tops them all

25. ahbdesign, Aug 7, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2011

ahbdesign macrumors member

Quite surprising how no one mentioned notification centre! That's what I'm looking forward to the most, and the multitasking gestures too!