My mother almost killed my MBP!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ivan P, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

So I thought that it was unsafe and somewhat silly of my to be using my MBP on the coffee table in our living room. My main fear was someone spilling liquid on it, and I really don't want that to happen. My parents had some guests over earlier, so I decided to do a bit of a tidy up on the desk in our office (it has my dad's PC on it...how I was tempted to push it off the edge, that would've cleared some space :p) and soon I was comfortably sitting there using my MBP. At this point, my mum comes in with a can of Coke that she'd just opened for the guest's bratty little kid that everyone wanted to **** (it was being a pain, really). I was reading up on some news and something caught her eye, and she pointed at the screen, not noticing it was with the same hand the can was in...

To my horror it started tipping. First things first, I nudged her hand just enough so that absolutely NONE of the liquid went anywhere near the keyboard. She realised what she was doing and freaked (many, many curse words). At least none, absolutely none of it seeped into the keyholes. Hooray. My main concern was the fact that the power button was clearly covered, and there was a little that had fallen onto the hinge. In all, it was maybe 20 or 30ML of liquid (it's not like she up-ended it, haha). I've wiped her down (...the computer that is), made sure theres nothing left in/around the power button or hinge, have turned it off, and have taken the battery out as a precaution. I know I should wait a few days before turning it back on...I know the logic board and everything is located on the left-hand side of the computer, underneath the W-E-R-T-Y keys, which is on the opposite side to where the spill was. What I'm wondering is, where could any liquid have possibly gone if it went into the hinge/power button? The power button on my MBP fits snugly into the case so I'll be surprised if anything did get past it.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a pain in the ass little brat to hit (just kidding :p) and a mum to kindly lecture about how I didn't pay $400 in AppleCare barely two months ago for no reason!

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Love how you referred to the bratty kid as an "it".

After reading a good sampling of horror spillage stories on MR, I probably should be more careful with my gear. Live dangerously I say :D

3. Tim018 macrumors regular

maybe this will help with peace of mind...

while i dont own one of these myself, wouldnt this help keep a little bit more peace of mind and also protect your keys from standard wear and tear? i still wouldnt want to spill a drink on my macbook (ever) but it would prob help if something does happen... http://store.apple.com/us/product/TV901LL/A?fnode=MTY1NDA1Mg&mco=NDY3NTc2Mw

just a thought... :)

4. qpid macrumors regular

As someone who's worked on many Apple computers with spillage, you'd be surprised at how a little big can cause major issues even in a spot that shouldn't cause harm. If you've let it dry and rest and got it cleaned up quickly you should be a-ok. If you are a lil paranoid you could take it apart and inspect inside but that may be a bit too much.

5. cu2010 macrumors 6502

This is about the funniest post I've ever seen on MR!

6. harcosparky macrumors 68020

The only potential problem I see for you is this.....

Should you have to take it in for any repair in the future and Apple sees ANY sign of that spill, they may claim " liquid damage " and consider it a non covered repair.

This is assuming any of the Coke ( coke is nasty stuff - leaves all kinds of residue if not 100% cleaned up ) got inside the computer at all.

Tell mom she owes you a new computer, and to keep " it " away from you and your computer at all costs!!!

Oh yea, how long ago was it when YOU were referred to by others as an "it"? :lol: :lol:

7. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I have one of these .... it protects over the keyboard but it doesn't cover the speaker holes. It took some getting used to, but I have seen where it already has done its job. Sometimes I leave the computer open on the desk, and we live in a dusty area, so I can see the dust on that cover that otherwise would get inside the computer.

8. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

I refer to all vile abominations ...errr, kids ... as 'it'.

9. Ivan P thread starter macrumors 68030

Ivan P

He he, thank you :p I try and make things humorous even if they should be taken a bit seriously :D