My mouse won't click! (10.4.11)

malcolmffc

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2007
Yesterday I restarted my PowerMac G5 (dual 2.7Ghz) as normal. When it rebooted my system wouldn't respond to mouse clicks. I can move the pointer around the screen and the system even responds to mouseover events (e.g. the text when you move over an application in the Dock) but it won't respond to clicks. Funny thing is, I tried VNCing in from another computer on my LAN and clicking DOES work from there.

Any ideas guys? I've taken the obvious step of repairing permissions, to no avail. I'm using 10.4.10 and wasn't doing aything unusual or stupid beforehand as far as I know.

Thanks!

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
10.4.11 typo? Or are you a beta tester? :eek:

That aside, have you tried a different mouse on the same machine? Perhaps the mouse clicker mechanism is broken? That said, it could be software related, but I can't think of anything atm. I'll get back to you...

Comment

malcolmffc

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2007
Sorry, yes I meant 10.4.10.

I did try the mouse on a different machine (my MacBook Pro) and it worked fine. So it's not a problem with the mouse itself.

Comment

Mr.Noisy

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
UK™
Sorry, yes I meant 10.4.10.

I did try the mouse on a different machine (my MacBook Pro) and it worked fine. So it's not a problem with the mouse itself.
Just a thought, you haven't changed the settings in mouse preferences by accident have you ? i had a problem a while back with the scroll button not working, but after using a screen cleaner to rub over it and turn it a while it was just dirt blocking it.

Comment

Phil A.

Staff member
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Is it a Bluetooth mouse? Mine occasionally did this in 10.4.10 and I found turning it off and back on again seemed to fix the problem

Comment

ghking

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2007
this same thing happened to me literally 5 minutes ago. What worked for me was just shut down the host computer through the vnc client. while it is off, quit VNCthing, then restart the host.

Comment

peistah

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2010
Phil A.

You are a genius, I was trying all different things, even turning the computer off did not work, turning the blue tooth mouse off and on worked like a charm!
:D

Comment