My Movies on new Apple TV app?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by rkaufmann87, May 16, 2019.

1. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

I want to watch movies on my 4K Apple TV using the new AppleTV app, the movies reside in iTunes and that library is stored on my iMac’s internal HD. All the movies are in .M4v format.

My question is, what steps do I need to take to watch these movies using the new Apple TV app on my 4K Apple TV? I also have the Apple TV app on my 2018 Samsung TV and would like to watch the same content there too.

Thanks in advance!

2. Casey Royals macrumors member

Casey Royals

AFAIK you can't, it's for aggregating the shows you watch in other TV channels apps.

3. rkaufmann87 thread starter macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

4. Westside guy macrumors 603

Westside guy

Yeah I just figured this out this evening when Apple updated my 3rd gen Apple TV.

I was in a bit of a panic, since suddenly my home sharing library was gone. But when Apple put the new Apple TV App in the top row, fortunately they didn’t delete “Computers”... they just hid it at the very bottom of the screen, below every other icon. o_O

You can’t move it back to the top row, though, which is annoying. The new TV App is kinda worthless on this Apple TV hardware, just adding what amounts to a redundant level of menu navigation.

BTW in case they later try to eliminate the “Computers” app, I went back in and turned off auto updates. That was off before, but Apple seems to have “helpfully” re-enabled that setting when I did the manual update this time. :mad:

It’s weird, since you CAN watch stuff from your home sharing library in the TV App on iOS.

5. mallbritton macrumors 6502a

You can't watch locally encoded content, from an iTunes library, in the TV app. You must watch it via the Computers app, just like you have been doing. For your Samsung TV, I think you may just be out of luck.

6. watsonjm macrumors regular

Anyone else having problems with passwords since the update? I’m constantly asked to re enter. I get the two factor code on my phone but no option to enter in on ATV then it just asks for me password again?

7. Mr Todhunter macrumors regular

Mr Todhunter

I had exactly the same problem with the previous OS version but I managed to go back one version. I was very lucky because Apple stopped signing the older version less than 10 hour later. Of course I do not dare to update the tvOS ever again. It’s ok though, because I never watch tv anyway. Never done for the last 17 years. I only use the tv as a screen to watch local stuff I stream through iTunes or Beamer.