My Movies vs Home Videos

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Woosie, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Woosie macrumors newbie

in iTunes some movies ripped from DVDs via handbrake ended up in the My Movies section, while most movies are in the Home Videos section. I don't care which section they're in except with the new ATV I can filter the titles much better, so I guess I now care!

Is there an easy way to add the director, cast , year released, etc information to each of the Home Videos?

I was hoping moving them to My Movies would unlock that data but no such luck.

2. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

I used Subler for a very long time and had no issues with it. It can also transcode media but if your stuff is already in iTunes then you don't need to worry about it. With Subler you can search for metadata and have it tag the file with the information. If the files are already in iTunes you may need to right-click on them and select "Get Info" after making the changes to have them take effect (and sometimes if the file is in Home Movies you have to manually change the Kind to Movie).

I've recently switch to iFlicks because I find it fits better in my workflow of auto-download/tagging but in terms of just manually adding information it works fine as well.

Edit: If you're talking about actual Home Movies and you want to add yourself as Director, your family as the cast, etc, you can also do that with these programs as well. My answer is more aimed at studio releases.

3. cduff macrumors member

cduff

I agree, Subler is by far the most comprehensive metadata editor for videos that you put into iTunes.

If you don't want the hassle of downloading and installing Subler, just right click on the video file, select get info, then go to the Options tab within that....there is a drop down menu to select media type (Movie, Home Video, Music Video).

4. Rigby macrumors 601

Subler on Mac OS and Meta-X on Windows work well to edit metadata that are not accessible in iTunes.

5. dearfriendx macrumors 6502

dearfriendx

I use iVI Pro for movies and TV shows. It's got Handbrake built in if you need to convert and it's got a handy metadata tool that works pretty quickly and accurately then exports to iTunes. I've used it since 2009 and still love it

6. Woosie thread starter macrumors newbie

So I tried Subler, found the metadata and thought I saved it. When I did, the video file resaved as a music file. So I know I'm doing something wrong. Got any more ideas?

7. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

I use iFlicks (the original free version, not the paid version). It has an iTunes service that will take your original file and just add the metadata (no conversion needed). I do think the movies have to be in the "My Movies" section to work (I always just move the files to My Movies anyway, but just FYI).

Once installed, select the movie/movies you want to update and press CMD+SHIFT+U. Note the titles have to be pretty exact for it to find the match, so if it doesn't work go get the exact name from www.themoviedb.org and update iTunes.

8. Woosie thread starter macrumors newbie

Figured it out. It works awesomely!! Thank you so much!!!

9. Woosie thread starter macrumors newbie

A tip: after you import the metadata, it won't show in iTunes until you start playing the file. Then it shows everything.

And, if for some reason the file thinks it's an audio file (happened to me twice), you can re establish the video file by "finding" it again in your set of media files.

10. salohcin macrumors member

If you right click on the item in iTunes and select "Get info" (or select it and Command + i), it should also refresh the metadata without having to play the file. This is much more efficient if you're updating a bunch of files at once.

Of course if you tag it before putting it in iTunes it will show the metadata as soon as you import it and even go to the correct section.

11. Woosie thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool! I'll try that as soon as I can