My mpg has no audio in final cut

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by YoYoMa, Nov 1, 2007.

1. YoYoMa macrumors 6502

I shot a bit of video with my point and shoot camera and the mpg file has no audio when I import it into final cut. The audio plays fine while playing the standalone file however. Anyone have any ideas?

2. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Demux the mpg file using MPEG Streamclip.

MPEG Streamclip is free, but you may need Quicktime Pro or Perian or something to make use of all the features.

I am sure there are other solutions also. Do some searches on demuxing (demultiplexing) mpeg video.

Good Luck
    SL

3. YoYoMa thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply. I've got MPEG Streamclip but I don't see any options for demuxing. What I did was export a quicktime movie at 100% quality and it created a HUGE file. What settings do you use to export in order to maintain the quality while also keeping the file a reasonable size?

4. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

File > Demux > Demux to m2v and AIFF...

Or, that's what I see anyway. I'm running MPEG Streamclip 1.9 (with QuickTime Pro, but I'm not sure if that makes a difference).

Use the generated AIFF file to add your audio back to your movie in Final Cut.

To maintain quality, keep it in the format it was captured in. Final Cut should render it internally to DV anyway.

HTH
    SL

5. YoYoMa thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your help. Can't believe I missed that!:)