My Mum's MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by peaklocation, Oct 15, 2010.

1. peaklocation macrumors newbie

My Mum's MacBook has cracks in its outer casing (on the bottom). Not of her doing.

Purchased in the UK (PC World, yuck, I know - I told her to get it form an Apple Store but she didn't listen, you know Mothers!). Anyway it was purchased November 2009, so in warranty JUST.

What are the options,

1) ring apple (best number?)
    2) go to PC world (yeah right)
    3) go to an apple store
    4) forget it, they won't do it under warranty
    5) pay for a repair
    6) something else

Best result would be for apple to give her a new spec machine (there've been a couple of revisions since then) but I know that's a pigs might thing.

Helpful advice, so that I can advise her very much appreciated.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Contact Apple via phone or go to an Apple Store, they will help you regardless where the Mac was purchased. Either they will help you or not, but in many cases regarding broken cases, which are not inflicted by users or third parties, they will replace the case or the MacBook. Make sure to backup the data on the MacBook before handing it over to Apple.

3. peaklocation thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that, helpful - anyone know the apple policy for cracks on polycarbonate MacBooks?

4. seb-opp macrumors 6502

not sure if cracking is covered, but yellowing of the palm rest is, so if that's happened as well you can get that part of the casing replaced for free

5. eman macrumors 6502a

Looks like Apple has recently decided to do the right thing and has started to repair cracks in the lower macbook case (online rumors). I have had many macbook with cracks in lower case and Apple has not repaired these in the past, even if they had Applecare.