iPad Pro My Muse

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nightcap965, Jan 4, 2016.

1. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

I caught the Chancellor of the Exchequer in a weak moment and am now the proud owner of a space grey 128 GB iPad Pro! (The secret to a happy marriage: always have a computer budget.)

Here's the funny bit. I have no artistic ability to speak of. About 40 years ago, I took a night school class in drawing. The class started out drawing basic forms: a cylinder, a cube, a sphere. Then they went on to do still life, portraiture, landscapes... and I was still working on the cylinder, and cube, and sphere. On the last day of class, everyone's magnum opus was displayed on the wall: vases full of flowers, nudes, raging oceans crashing on rocky shores, and over in the corner, my embarrassing little monochrome cylinder, cube, and sphere.

But while standing in the Apple Store, I picked up the Pencil and made a swooping line. Then I made another couple swooping lines and voilà, a standing bird. Hmmmm...

The Pencil was not available in the store. I ordered one to be delivered in four or five weeks. And I've downloaded Procreate.

There's the joke about the old guy who goes in for a job interview. "What would you say is your greatest weakness?" asks the interviewer. "Honesty," replies the man. "I don't think that's a weakness," says the interviewer. "I don't give a damn what you think," says the old guy.

I didn't buy the iPad Pro to be an artist, and I'm not about to become one. But I think I may try and learn a bit, just to please myself.

2. Capt T macrumors 6502a

Congrats on the new iPad! Good luck with the drawing.

3. artfossil macrumors 65816

artfossil

You will love the Pencil and Procreate!

I have taught drawing and I enthusiastically recommend the book Drawing for the Absolute and Utter Beginner:

http://www.amazon.com/Drawing-Absol...r=1-1&keywords=drawing+for+the+utter+beginner

It does a great job of breaking down the perceptual skills and showing where we get confused and how to correct our errors.

And remember, Morandi painted bottles for decades, so nothing wrong with the cylinder. :cool:

4. nightcap965 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

Thanks for the good advice. I'll definitely check out that book.

5. Ghost31 macrumors 68020

Ghost31

Hey man. Don't wait 4 or 5 weeks! Places like Verizon and Walmart have them in stock NOW. I ordered mine last week and am getting it today

6. nightcap965 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

I live on a sand bar thirty miles east of the mainland. Closest (indeed only) Verizon store on Cape Cod is about 20 miles west of me. Apple store is easy, and I certainly don't need the pencil right away. Heck, I haven't even figured out how to use Procreate yet!

7. PattyMc macrumors regular

PattyMc

Nice post, congrats on IPP and hope your Pencil arrives soon. I'm not a professional artist but I do love to draw and the Pencil has made me extremely happy. Not just to draw, I'm finding that I'm writing much more these days too, the Pencil and IPP is really changing how I do things.

Make sure to download the handbook for Procreate, they have recently updated it and it will help you.

8. artfossil macrumors 65816

artfossil

Another TERRIFIC book and NOT just for children is the Klutz book, Drawing for the Artistically Undiscovered:

http://www.amazon.com/Drawing-Artis...&qid=1451929297&sr=1-1&keywords=klutz+drawing

It has a ton of solid information about line and mark, shading and perspective and you could do the exercises on your iPad instead of in the book.