My Music

Discussion in 'iPod' started by XxCH3AT3RxX, Nov 26, 2007.

1. XxCH3AT3RxX macrumors regular

Okay I do not know the right amount since I am not on my PC to see. But I have a little less than 200 songs and already 800MB of space or so is taken up. Remember give or take a bit since I am not looking at my computer. All my music is just regular length songs and all 192KBs - 220KBs. They are .MP3. I was wondering is that a lot of space already taken up with less than 200 songs? I do not have an iPod yet I am just setting up my iTunes with the music I want. So if this is too much space for so few of songs is there a more compressed format iPod reads or a way to convert this mass of songs all at once to a lower bitrate like 192KBs since I know a lot of songs are above that or mayber below 192KBs? I just do not want the quality getting poor. I ordered the iPod classic 80GB and I know that is a lot of space but I am just thinking for down the road. Thanks everyone. I couldn't get the right numbers since I am on my PS3 typing this on a keyboard, sorry.

2. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

that seems about right.
    i have a play list with 123 songs and it come out to 695 MB.
    they rage from 190 to 320 bit rate.

3. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

I think thats ok , I have the same , there will fit around 400 - 500 songs on my 2GB iPod. So your fine there.

4. XxCH3AT3RxX thread starter macrumors regular

Okay now that I am on my computer it is:

162 Songs - 9.8 hours - 850.5MB

That seems like a large amount of space for so few of songs, but as you guys say it might not be. And all these songs have album art since I got an iPod Classic on Xmas so that might be taking some space up too.

5. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

Well 162 songs at 850.5MB means the songs are only an average of 5.25MB per song, which is normal. I don't think you have anything to worry about, especially with an 80GB iPod classic.

6. ataboc macrumors 6502

yeah you don't have anything to worry about, 80 gigs is plenty!
    you've also got good bitrates. i don't like aac at 128kbs. i can def hear a difference between 128 and a quality Lame V0 rip. here's a guide from another forum:

This tutorial is meant to teach people how to identify the settings used to encode MP3s. In particular, this is useful if you need to identify whether an album is V0, V1, V2, etc.

The first step is to download Dnuos. The GUI version for OS X is not yet ready, so I'll show you how to use the command line interface. I'm using the latest version as of this posting, 0.94, which is available here.

Unarchive the .tar.bz2 file into a folder. I will assume that the folder is called dnous-0.94 and that it is located on your desktop. If you can't handle this much, message me and I'll try to help you out.

Open terminal. Type "which python" and press enter. If it returns a path (for example, "/usr/bin/python"), then you're good. If instead it returns something like "no python in /usr/local/bin /bin /sbin /usr/bin" then you need to install python to get this to work. Try searching Google for how to do this or install the Developer's Tools off of your Mac OS X Installation CDs.

If you're at terminal and have python, type "cd ~/Desktop/dnuos-0.94/" and hit enter. You're now located inside of the dnuos-0.94 folder. All you need to do is type "python dnuos.py path/to/your/music/" and hit enter. You'll get back a listing of folder names and the settings used to encode the music within them.

A few examples:

If you want to examine all of the music in the Music directory that you see in Finder, type:
    python dnuos.py ~/Music/

If you want to examine all of the music in the Torrents folder located within the Music directory, type:
    python dnuos.py ~/Music/Torrents/

If you want to save the output of the command to a text file for later use, type:
    python dnuos.py path/to/your/music/ > ~/Desktop/yourfile.txt