Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
EDITED - 7/23 - POI rating changes

iPhone 3Gs

Tested this today for about an hour with different routes and I came up with the following:

- 9/10 Guidance *Surprisingly accurate picking the fastest routes. Way more accurate than G-Map and Sygic. Doesnt constantly tell me to make U-Turns when I can simply continue straight to my destination like G-Map and Sygic constantly do for me.

- 10/10 Adjusting route for a wrong turn * Roughly 3 seconds which is VERY fast. It was actually faster than my Garmin car unit.

- 10/10 for ease of use. Its incredibly easy and found every address I entered unlike Sygic which has bugs with townships etc.

- 6/10 Visual - would be 10/10 if it listed your next turn on the screen and the street names were readable. You literally cant see the street names and you dont have the option to zoom in closer on your navigation icon or change their color to BLACK... which they should be. Therefore, its nearly impossible to see adjacent street names. Apparently next update fixes this with more views, but probably not font color. The animations are really smooth - none of that jumping around like the other Navs.

- 10/10 GPS accuracy * It was spot on where ever I was. It was at least within 10 feet of my location each time I checked. Not sure how the TomTom can improve on this accuracy but will maybe help with skyscrapers around you??

- 7/10 POI list. EDIT (7/23) POI list seems to be lacking some major points of interest. For example - Beaver stadium where Penn State plays... is non existent. Largest college football stadium (until Michigan finishes their reconstruction) and its not listed? Newer stadiums like the Link in Philly are listed, but not PSU?! Being that I am a PSU fan I want to give you a 0!!!!

Overall 8.7/10... Highly recommended with my first day of trials. Subject to change but overall very impressed with it. Fix the minor GUI issues and this is a good basic Nav system. Also, POI list needs way more content. Sygic has them beat by a long ways.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
bbplayer it seems like you're the one becoming our resident TBT app reviewer :D

Appreciate it, I'm on hold (waiting) to decide if I'm gonna get this unless TomTom reveals theirs before August 15.
(Good marketing, setting up the sale on a specified date lol)

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
bbplayer it seems like you're the one becoming our resident TBT app reviewer :D

Appreciate it, I'm on hold (waiting) to decide if I'm gonna get this unless TomTom reveals theirs before August 15.
(Good marketing, setting up the sale on a specified date lol)

I do a lot of traveling so I like to try them all out :) This one is by far the best one yet. Looking forward to TomTom as well, but I highly doubt you will need the holder for it. The GPS is accurate enough as is and was proven by this app.

schulzmc

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2006
After playing around for a while with Navigon today I can concur with this review. I have had both G-maps and Sygic on my phone in the past two weeks and done some side by side testing on two long (200 mile +) road trips. Navigon has not gotten that kind of workout (yet - next week!) but so far I like the interface and accuracy better than the other two. Routes around town have been much more what I expected (the other two apps produced some "interesting" results, including both missing a major highway option in my area).

Biggest of all - the ability to grab an address right from the contacts app on the phone is a HUGE help. Neither of the other two have done that.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
After playing around for a while with Navigon today I can concur with this review. I have had both G-maps and Sygic on my phone in the past two weeks and done some side by side testing on two long (200 mile +) road trips. Navigon has not gotten that kind of workout (yet - next week!) but so far I like the interface and accuracy better than the other two. Routes around town have been much more what I expected (the other two apps produced some "interesting" results, including both missing a major highway option in my area).

Biggest of all - the ability to grab an address right from the contacts app on the phone is a HUGE help. Neither of the other two have done that.

Completely agree. A few GUI fixes for me and this is perfect. TomTom has a run for their money here.

ksmith80209

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
I totally agree with the "illegible road names" comment. I'm not quite sure why G-Maps & AT&T Navigator were able to figure this out, but Navigon wasn't. If they are able to fix this plus label more of the streets (only about 30% are labeled for me here in Denver), it will be a truly great app.

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
UK
I totally agree with the "illegible road names" comment. I'm not quite sure why G-Maps & AT&T Navigator were able to figure this out, but Navigon wasn't. If they are able to fix this plus label more of the streets (only about 30% are labeled for me here in Denver), it will be a truly great app.
the update coming in a few days will show more street names (displaying them is optional) but whether legibility improves remains to be seen

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
I do a lot of traveling so I like to try them all out :) This one is by far the best one yet. Looking forward to TomTom as well, but I highly doubt you will need the holder for it. The GPS is accurate enough as is and was proven by this app.

I'm kinda in the 30-70 on the holder, what I saw on the video it looks like iPhones with cases won't in it. Yet I can't prove it so far since they haven't released it yet, besides I've already got an air vent holder for my iPhone and the GPS on the iPhone itself. If you can't put an iPhone with a case on their TomTom car mount, then that's a huge minus(-) on their end.

Scooterman1

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2008
Houston, Tx
If you can't put an iPhone with a case on their TomTom car mount, then that's a huge minus(-) on their end.

Maybe you should order a G-Map Windshield mount to hold it. However, I've been told by an Apple Genius that he bought a cheap Air Vent Mount at BestBuy to keep the phone cool while using the Map Apps.

malch

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
quick question: I have an iPhone 3G, but no data plan.
Would this app work for me (other than when I'm in a Wi-Fi zone?).
thanks, malch

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
quick question: I have an iPhone 3G, but no data plan.
Would this app work for me (other than when I'm in a Wi-Fi zone?).
thanks, malch

Sure will! All maps are on your phone... no data connection needed.

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
Maybe you should order a G-Map Windshield mount to hold it. However, I've been told by an Apple Genius that he bought a cheap Air Vent Mount at BestBuy to keep the phone cool while using the Map Apps.
I need something closer to it's easy to reach especially when driving, which is why I got an air vent mount, however it's not that solid.

-snip-
...the satellites are stored in the sky.
Hahaha nice one :p

awad

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2006
am I able to share this with all my authorized accounts? or does something need to be registered. because if im able to download this and put it on my other family members iphones, then it's a fantastic deal at only 70 dollars.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
am I able to share this with all my authorized accounts? or does something need to be registered. because if im able to download this and put it on my other family members iphones, then it's a fantastic deal at only 70 dollars.

pretty sure it goes based on your itunes login information. As long as those devices use the same itunes stuff, you can do it on up to 5 devices.

Tunnelrunner

macrumors regular
May 9, 2009
Thanks for the review. I am currently installing this onto my iphone as I type this. :)

Up until this time, my stance has been that the best overall GPS app in North America for the iphone has been AT&T Navigator by Telenav. I still stand by that. But I knew that was subject to change....once the day came where Navigon and TomTom finally launched in the USA. It's going to be fun comparing all 3 apps to see the different strengths and weaknesses.

I look forward to trying this out...

jacobgaul

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2009
i was able to install this on 7 phones so far. ipods/iphones dont count as authorized computers.. all 7 people are family or friends.. i charged each person $15.00 which covers the cost of the app. im not looking to make money.

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
i was able to install this on 7 phones so far. ipods/iphones dont count as authorized computers.. all 7 people are family or friends.. i charged each person $15.00 which covers the cost of the app. im not looking to make money.

How did you install it on a friends iphone/ipod without formatting it first?

staticmx

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2007
Hmmm. Not trying to make money? You have installed the app on 7 iphones, 6 not counting yours. 6X15=$90. App cost $69. Profit $22. Seems very dishonest

Cescfabregas4

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2009
I totally Agree with the OP's review. I have a 3g and navigon has been accurate and on point for me. I could not be happier. I have this and Sygic currently installed on my phone. I have not decided which one to delete.
Navigons lane guidiance is very very useful when navigating a strange highway.

pooryou

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
NorCal

It's bad enough that you do this, but to brag about it on a public forum will potentially spoil things for the honest people by forcing Apple to add more restrictions. Something to consider, if you care...

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2007
Looks like Sygic has a bigger POI list. Navigon doesnt even have Beaver Stadium where Penn State plays... on its list. Sygic I found literally dive bars etc.

hokiepokie07

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009

what type of holder would you recommend?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.