my neglect to read directions has made osx unusable

Discussion in 'macOS' started by spaceboots06, Nov 24, 2010.

1. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

hi,

number 1. i have snow leopard.

okay, let's go.

so I downloaded and installed monolingual to remove extra languages that I don't need, but it seems as if i'm none-lingual because I didn't read directions.

so I uninstalled every single font besides English. Yep. I uninstalled the English (United States) subset font. And from what I've read, this'll render OS X unusable and I'll have to reinstall virtually all of my third-party applications.

BUT,

I have yet to restart my computer or log out of my account, so I can still use my laptop perfectly fine.

NOW,

Is there any way to reverse this mistake? Will all my data be lost if I do shut my computer off? What do you suggest I do to fix this???

Thanks!

2. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

My guess would be reinstalling Snow Leopard on top of old install would solve your problem.

But just to be careful, I'd wait until a few other people chime in.

3. spaceboots06 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Could anyone else add to what kuwisdelu suggested?

Thanks.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You deleted too much, so you're only real and safest option is to reinstall.

This is why I never recommend monolingual. Its not like you're saving a ton of space and the risk of making the system unstable/unusable is too great.

5. spaceboots06 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Will I be losing data... erm documents... movies... music...?

6. snberk103, Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2010

snberk103 macrumors 603

If you have access to an external drive, use something like SuperDuper to clone the internal to the external. The free version of SuperDuper will do this for you. That way you can always go back if you have to. Cloning the the HD will also make a copy of the Home folder, so your documents are backed up.

I have no experience, so can't offer concrete help. However, take this question over the Apple Support forums. This is "rumours" site, so while you may find people who have the experience to help the odds will be higher over at the Apple Support forums since that is it's only focus.

Good Luck - and let us know how it works out for you.

UPDATE: Have you checked with the monolingual developers? You probably aren't the first to encounter this, um, design feature??

7. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

It shouldn't. By default a Snow Leopard reinstall preserves your data.

If it does, it was monolingual's fault.