My Netflix Usage

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Tennesotans, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Tennesotans macrumors newbie

I was looking over out entertainment dollars... directtv, iTunes, Netflix, Tivo...
    and I got curious how much I've spent through Netflix... and basically how
    much we'd spent on each movie. So -- here are the stats are:

a) we've been members of Netflix on/off since 2003
    b) we've been members about 47 months (looking at payment history)
    c) we've rented 140 movies in that time. There were MONTHS were the red
    envelopes just sat there... the best of intentions ;)
    d) our total payment to Netflix is over $900 in that time.

That works out to about 3 movies a month at a cost of $6.47 a movie.

I would have guessed half that :(. I know iTunes selection pales in comparison
    to Netflix... but this makes the $3.99 per movies look preeeettty attractive
    for OUR needs. Surprising.

(I've recently dropped out netflix subscription to two movies a month...)

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

The only real way to maximum your bang for the buck with Netflix is to watch a LOT of movies frequently. On a 3-disc plan, replenishing once per week, we have 12 movies in an average month. Assuming a $16.99/month plan, we have $1.42 per disc rental, which is cheaper than any B&M rental store, assuming you're watching mostly new releases. So if you can manage to watch 3 movies per week, you would be saving money.

If you're paying $6.47 per movie on average, you're only watching about one movie per week, so you might as well either rent on iTunes or at the local video store.

But Netflix does have other advantages that may or may not apply to you. They stock Blu-ray movies and don't even charge a premium to rent them like the local video stores do. Netflix has a far more extensive library of titles than iTunes or ANY video store. There's very few titles I haven't been able to find on Netflix.

So for me, I couldn't ask for a better deal. :)

3. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

Looks like Netflix isn't the best for you, but if you take advantage of the unlimited movies a month, it's a good deal. Mine comes out to about $2 or less a movie.

4. maestrocasa macrumors regular

i'm loving netflix for watching old tv series. right now, we're hooked on Battlestar Galactica. (a little soapy, but still fun!) as quickly as we're turning those discs around, we're right around $2.00 per disc. much better than 1.99 per episode on iTMS. (unlimited plan, 3 discs at a time)

5. pprior macrumors 65816

Same here, we're doing Little House on the Prairie with our family - 4 episodes per disk. Way too expensive to do that by paying for each episode.

I'm a grandfathered member of netflix, still getting 4 movies at a time for about $18. With the cost of gas how it is - it's far cheaper than going to the rental store even without the hassle factor.

My first ATV is sitting on my desk right now and will install tonight, but I honestly don't see it replacing netflix anytime soon.

6. Tennesotans thread starter macrumors newbie

I suspect its our Tivo -- we have 50+ season passes... which gives us
    at least 2 hours of viewing a night. Adding 3 movies a week is more than
    we can handle. The math for television episodes is HORRIBLE... so I don't
    think we will be getting rid of Tivo anytime soon ;)

I rented about 10 HD DVDs before they gave up the ghost... I saw a
    high "scratch failure" rate with them. Are yall seeing similar for BluRay?
    We have friends over to watch "Breach"... 80 minutes into the movie it
    hung, I had to skip chapters and rewind to finish the movie :(

Different strokes...

7. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I calculate our Netflix usage at just over $3/movie. We've averaged about 6 movies per month. Normally, I would think that was a little higher than I would want to spend, but the convenience of always having a movie on-hand to watch when we want is worth at least a buck. And having the queue as a way of tracking movies we want to see is also nice. So for us, Netflix = teh win!

8. mindcrash macrumors member

mindcrash

Well, I don't want to go into too much detail because I'm sure I'll get scolded, but I get about 6 movies a week from Netflix, so I'm looking at around 75 cents a DVD. I'll take it.

9. sfwidescreen macrumors newbie

I'm one the one movie at a time plan. I tend to watch one Netflix film a week, so I'm at $2.50/disc or slightly worse.

I think it will stay that way until I can get all the things I need at iTunes (broader movie selection, HBO series, etc.)

10. Tennesotans thread starter macrumors newbie

YOU'RE A MACHINE... how long is your QUEUE????

;) ;)

11. gco212 macrumors 6502

I take it you're burning copies of the movies then? That's what I usually do, and I wind up just throwing the movie in the mailbox the same day or day after I get it. It makes it well worth the money.

12. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

A few reasons I will not be quitting NetFlix anytime soon:

1. Grandfathered. As someone already mentioned, there are some of us who've been members so long that we get 4 out at a time for the price of 3. If we ever change anything in our account, I assume we'll lose that.

2. When I first joined in 2000, I decided to track our usage to see if we were getting our money's worth. I originally figured that if we paid $2-3 per movie it was worth it, but if we paid $4-5 it probably wasn't. Since it was easy, I've kept my spreadsheet up to date. We have averaged over 8 discs/month over the life of our membership, which means that iTunes rentals can't come close.

3. TV shows. NetFlix is great for renting TV. Until iTunes carries TV rentals at a reasonable price, there is no chance that we will dump NetFlix.

4. We did rent one HD movie from iTunes, just to give it a shot (plus, we'd never watched anything HD on our 6-year-old HD-ready TV). We rented Batman Begins. It looked great, but the dialog was often hard to make out. If this was a DVD, we would just have turned on subtitles now and then. But it wasn't, so we couldn't. My wife hated that.

5. Even though I thought "we" didn't care all that much about extras, my wife was saying "what, no special features?".

I still love my AppleTV, and so does my wife. However, I don't think we'll be renting very many movies.

And it looks like I will have to get a Blu-ray player after all...

13. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I'll join the NetFlix supporters.

I wouldn't mind renting movies with iTunes, but they have no subtitles or closed captioning, so no deal.

NetFlix for the win.

14. mindcrash macrumors member

mindcrash

Yeah...my external drive is going to need to be updated pretty soon ;)

My only complaint about Netflix thus far is that it is taking forever to get popular movies, but Blockbuster would be the same I think.

15. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

I agree. I will also not be dropping Netflix. With that said, I did drop it from 4 out at a time to 2 out. Between DirecTV HD movie channels, my own DVD collection, Apple TV and Netflix, I find I don't use Netflix as much as I use to.