My network setup is throttling my MacBook's wireless speed. HALP!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by cleanup, Sep 9, 2008.

1. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

So it looks like the way I have my wireless network setup severely hinders the speed of users connecting to the wireless network.

I'm basically using two hardware routers. My PC acts as the first switch, which outputs to a WRT54G wireless router, which then broadcasts to my MacBook.

The PC works fine, of course, since it's directly connected to the Internet, but my MacBook experiences speeds reminiscent of ADSL back in China; the ultimate test of wireless speeds, "Can I stream flash audio/video fast enough" isn't passed. YouTube videos can't stream/buffer fast enough for continuous play.

Is there any way I can increase the speed of my wireless connection? I have 64 bit encryption on, if that's worth anything, running on wireless channel 11.

Thanks!

2. Martin C macrumors 6502a

Martin C

Why don't you just connect the router directly to the internet and the PC via one of the LAN ports on the back of the router.

3. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

I have it set up the way it is because if I connect a router to the wall, the system administrators for my college dorm will see it and remove my network privileges. This is the only way I can have a wireless network at all.

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

You should be able to clone the MAC address of the PC with the router. We did this my first (only) year in a dorm.