Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sj04

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2009
finally some constructive feedback!!
I agree about the memory - more is def better. 32GB for $1000 seems pretty good and they seem pretty easy to install as well.

To be completley honest i wasnt gonna buy the SSDs i was gonna go straight 2TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s hard drive - i got a really good deal on the SSDs cause i was getting the 12 core. The Mac rep insisted on them.

This is a fantastic machine. I were you, I would add more memory for sure. 12GB for 24 threads sounds not enough. I do scientific calculations and simulations. I need about 1-2GB per thread.

sporadicMotion

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2008
Your girlfriends place
Its freakin INSANE :eek:
I rekon the only thing to justify that would be a stock broker or a security guard CCTV station hahaha

I actually have Logic Express 9 but havent tinkered with it that much. The funny thing is that the ACDs come with a pretty good sound system - even come with in-built subs.

I'm just curious. I use Logic 9 on a 15" MacBook Pro and I just don't have enough power anymore. I can't afford a 12 core so there is only an 8 core in my near future (March 15 is the date I've set :) )

I haven't heard the ACD's sound system but you've got my interest peaked.

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
This is a fantastic machine. I were you, I would add more memory for sure. 12GB for 24 threads sounds not enough. I do scientific calculations and simulations. I need about 1-2GB per thread.

It depends if the OP is going to end up using all the threads at the same time - I mean I only have 3GB on my 4-core currently (8-threads) and I only plan on going to 6GB - I do video editing in Final Cut Pro, Graphics in Motion and then Compress using Compressor, and apart from Motion occasionally hitting a memory barrier, 3GB is workable.

sj04

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2009
It depends if the OP is going to end up using all the threads at the same time - I mean I only have 3GB on my 4-core currently (8-threads) and I only plan on going to 6GB - I do video editing in Final Cut Pro, Graphics in Motion and then Compress using Compressor, and apart from Motion occasionally hitting a memory barrier, 3GB is workable.

If you can split your work into pieces, like, open more than one Final Cut Pro to do your work simultaneously, then you can let all your threads run. That is another reason that you can use 6+ monitors.

Akayz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011

Looking at some non-apple memory...... waaaaaaaay cheaper!!

steffi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2003
It looks to me as though you are in Asia. Where exactly?

If I had to guess I'd guess Thailand

Oh Australia. Same kind of Air Con remote as Blista57... and similar disposal income to boot ;-)

for the haters....

Last edited:

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Sweet setup; I would have gotten SF SSDs instead. For the displays I prefer Dell 30" displays (since it's both matte and come with proper connectivity).

I'm quite content with my current machine and it's been going strong for almost 2 years. Just doubled by RAM to 24GB… you should probably do that if you are running a lot heavy stuff; OWC is good place to get this.

Otherwise congrats. Forgive the haters; they're just envious.

Akayz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
Sweet setup; I would have gotten SF SSDs instead. For the displays I prefer Dell 30" displays (since it's both matte and come with proper connectivity).

I'm quite content with my current machine and it's been going strong for almost 2 years. Just doubled by RAM to 24GB… you should probably do that if you are running a lot heavy stuff; OWC is good place to get this.

Otherwise congrats. Forgive the haters; they're just envious.

Def learnt alot already regarding SSDs and displays... Memory looks like will be upgraded soon. Thanks for the tip.

Just out of curiosity does anyone know how to hook up all speakers to run simultaneously off the 3 ACDs i have?

antmo

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2008
Def learnt alot already regarding SSDs and displays... Memory looks like will be upgraded soon. Thanks for the tip.

Just out of curiosity does anyone know how to hook up all speakers to run simultaneously off the 3 ACDs i have?

From what I've read, you can't use multiple ACD speakers together through the standard OSX sound drivers.

You could find software which might give you more control and allow you to output to all of them at once.

Keep in mind though, you probably don't want to drive them "as-is" with left and right channels on all 3... might end up sounding strange. You probably want to use both speakers in the display on left as both left channels, both right display speakers as right channels and the middle as normal (left speaker as left channel, right speaker as right channel).

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea

From what I've read, you can't use multiple ACD speakers together through the standard OSX sound drivers.

You could find software which might give you more control and allow you to output to all of them at once.

Keep in mind though, you probably don't want to drive them "as-is" with left and right channels on all 3... might end up sounding strange. You probably want to use both speakers in the display on left as both left channels, both right display speakers as right channels and the middle as normal (left speaker as left channel, right speaker as right channel).

Or.... perish the thought ... spend just a bit more, and get set of stand alone speakers? Much easier in the long run, and less fiddling. :)

ps I'm one of the people who are happy that you're happy with your new system... so please read the above with a smile in my voice and a twinkle in my eye....

barmann

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2010
Germany
The only thing that baffles me, and smells a bit like fake, are only 12 GB of RAM, and also the mediocre displays to go with a 12 core Mac .

Oh, and Apple SSDs, that's too silly to be true . ;)

Akayz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
The only thing that baffles me, and smells a bit like fake, are only 12 GB of RAM, and also the mediocre displays to go with a 12 core Mac .

Oh, and Apple SSDs, that's too silly to be true . ;)

Yeah you know what...... you got me.... its fake.... well done.... you must be some sort of detective..... gosh..... your soooo good!

Oh the RAM and the "Mediocre displays"?? my apologies you royal highness. I will endeavor to ensure this is never repeated!

Oh must be cause of the Apple SSDs.... thats soooo silly..... how silly of me... i bought something that was for sale from Apple... ohh yeah thats the smoking gun.... i give up.. Your good!

YOU KNOW WHAT.... To try and stop people posting this crap im gonna save you the effort by posting it my self:

- the system is fake (no use trying to convince you otherwise - easier to draw blood from a stone)

- i am a mac NOOB (Yes! that means i know hardly anything about macs - but im learning)

- I love wasting peoples time by posting fake threads (what can i say.. it tickles my fancy)

YOU KNOW WHATS FUNNY ABOUT ALL THIS??
My MP with its crap SSDs and crap RAM and "Mediocre" displays will still defecate all over then urinate then wipe its ass all over your "MacPro 2.8 Octo 3.1 / MBP 15" 4.1 / MBA 11.6" ultimate" which i might add must be fake cause they look "Mediocre"
Its funny cause all the envious messages have come from people with systems that are waaaaaay lower in power and performance... Get a life!

Im sick of having to justify this F*#$KING machine! Its really not that big of a deal!

Last edited:

Major Reeves

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2009
EUSSR
Yeah you know what...... you got me.... its fake.... well done.... you must be some sort of detective..... gosh..... your soooo good!

Oh the RAM and the "Mediocre displays"?? my apologies you royal highness. I will endeavor to ensure this is never repeated!

Oh must be cause of the Apple SSDs.... thats soooo silly..... how silly of me... i bought something that was for sale from Apple... ohh yeah thats the smoking gun.... i give up.. Your good!

YOU KNOW WHAT.... To try and stop people posting this crap im gonna save you the effort by posting it my self:

- the system is fake (no use trying to convince you otherwise - easier to draw blood from a stone)

- i am a mac NOOB (Yes! that means i know hardly anything about macs - but im learning)

- I love wasting peoples time by posting fake threads (what can i say.. it tickles my fancy)

YOU KNOW WHATS FUNNY ABOUT ALL THIS??
My MP with its crap SSDs and crap RAM and "Mediocre" displays will still defecate all over then urinate then wipe its ass all over your "MacPro 2.8 Octo 3.1 / MBP 15" 4.1 / MBA 11.6" ultimate" which i might add must be fake cause they look "Mediocre"
Its funny cause all the envious messages have come from people with systems that are waaaaaay lower in power and performance... Get a life!

Im sick of having to justify this F*#$KING machine! Its really not that big of a deal!

Who cares about some internet guys? The time you're wasting here with their pointless "bitching" it's the time you could either be working or enjoying life.

barmann

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2010
Germany

You get very defensive for a lad who thinks it's no big deal. ;)

I know it's not a big deal, it's just a computer that anyone can buy, and it's not that expensive, especially when one uses it for work and it's tax deductable .
No reason to make a thread about the purchase, either.

I'm merely pointing out that it was put together without much basic knowledge of recent Mac computing hardware and requirements.

Even on a computer forum, it's virtually impossible to impress anyone with a - computer .
Especially when it is speced to be just slightly faster than a '08 MP . :p

Suggestions : double (using non-Apple) Ram, get one decent main monitor, sell the slow Apple SSDs and get a couple Sandforce based ones for boot and scratch (if needed).

Vylen

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2010
Sydney, Australia
You get very defensive for a lad who thinks it's no big deal. ;)

I know it's not a big deal, it's just a computer that anyone can buy, and it's not that expensive, especially when one uses it for work and it's tax deductable .
No reason to make a thread about the purchase, either.

I'm merely pointing out that it was put together without much basic knowledge of recent Mac computing hardware and requirements.

Even on a computer forum, it's virtually impossible to impress anyone with a - computer .
Especially when it is speced to be just slightly faster than a '08 MP . :p

Suggestions : double (using non-Apple) Ram, get one decent main monitor, sell the slow Apple SSDs and get a couple Sandforce based ones for boot and scratch (if needed).

It's not really an issue of being defensive... you're the straw that broke the camels back... obviously if you read the entire thread, you would know there's been numerous posts like yours. Even I got frustrated when I read your post, but it wasn't my place to say anything. Since, seriously... what's wrong with believing someone every once in a while?

And, you would know how frustrating it is to essentially be called a liar this way and that, regardless of this being on the internet and a forum.

Additionally, if you did read the thread, you'd also realise that it was indeed built without basic knowledge since the OP has been receiving nice advice and has been learning new things on what and where to purchase items like RAM and SSDs - all that despite the unfriendly "that's fake" posts.

Akayz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
It's not really an issue of being defensive... you're the straw that broke the camels back... obviously if you read the entire thread, you would know there's been numerous posts like yours. Even I got frustrated when I read your post, but it wasn't my place to say anything. Since, seriously... what's wrong with believing someone every once in a while?

And, you would know how frustrating it is to essentially be called a liar this way and that, regardless of this being on the internet and a forum.

Additionally, if you did read the thread, you'd also realise that it was indeed built without basic knowledge since the OP has been receiving nice advice and has been learning new things on what and where to purchase items like RAM and SSDs - all that despite the unfriendly "that's fake" posts.

Thanks mate.

Akayz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
One thing i did purchase for piece of mind was a Power surge console. My house uses an electrical safety switch but for piece of mind the power surge console should keep me safe. It has 12 power outlets plus one Auxillary outlet. Awesome for the 3 ACDs, MP, Time machine and tv etc

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
One thing i did purchase for piece of mind was a Power surge console. My house uses an electrical safety switch but for piece of mind the power surge console should keep me safe. It has 12 power outlets plus one Auxillary outlet. Awesome for the 3 ACDs, MP, Time machine and tv etc

Oh by the way, you should also consider a UPS in cases of power outages.
APC is very recommended.

I run a SmartUPS 1400 for the Pro (should also be plenty for your machine) and a BackUPS 650 for my displays.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.