My new 15" Digital Photo Frame - made from Lego!

Discussion in 'Picture Gallery' started by krye, Jun 23, 2008.

1. krye macrumors 68000

krye

I had a Dell laptop that I got from an IT guy at work. Since I'm a Mac guy, I have no use for a Windows-based laptop. I decided to make it into a Digital Photo Frame. I can keep it on my desk at work and it can play a slideshow of my kids' photos. All I had to do was design a nice looking enclosure for the laptop guts. I had to look no further than my twin 4 year olds. They love Lego, and I think a photo frame made out of Lego blocks would look pretty cool.

So, using Lego's Digital Designer. I chalked up an nice looking 3D model and ordered my parts, all 476 of them.

I am really happy with the results. It turned out great. It's too bad it's not an old iBook. Then again, I don't know how fast I'd be at turning an iBook into a photo frame.

(Here's the full workflow, as detailed on my web page:
    http://web.mac.com/ryemac3/RyeMAC3/Projects/Pages/Digital_Photo_Frame_2.0.html)

Attached Files:

2. Lau Guest

That looks fantastic, the curved edges really finish it nicely. :)

I also now have plans for that Lego designer program as well. :D

3. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

4. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

5. BryanLyle macrumors 6502a

BryanLyle

Ok. First of all, I didn't even know you could download this software and build your own lego set :)

Second of all, this might be the greatest thing I have ever seen :)

6. OMFG HAXX! macrumors member

7. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That is beyond impressive! Not to mention way cheaper than any other 15" digital photo frame out there!
    I have a 7" one here on my desk, maybe I'll make a new enclosure for it just for kicks.

Well done!

9. krye thread starter macrumors 68000

krye

Thanks for all your praise! And yes, way cheaper than any photo frames out there. I mean the laptop was free, the lego was $70 bucks. I've seen 7 and 8" photo frames hit almost $200. And the novelty of it is priceless. I'm glad you guys liked it. If I wanted to I supposed I could build in a hole for the headphone jack and make it an iTunes jukebox. The possibilities are endless! I just wish it was a MacBook. It would have built in Bluetooth and wifi and I wouldn't have to mess around with thumb drives and hubs.

10. BryanLyle macrumors 6502a

BryanLyle

So, how did you modify the laptop to make it work?

11. grouper macrumors regular

12. Babooshka macrumors 6502

Babooshka

Lego makes neat things neater.

Its damn fine looking too.