My new 17" i5 MBP Screen Problem! Just 8 DAYS OLD!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by max211, Jun 12, 2010.

1. max211 macrumors newbie

Hi guys.. I'm having a problem on my mbp screen, although it happened only once just an hour ago. The screen goes flickering magenta and white and some pixelated image. I needed to force shutdown using the power button because it seems to stalled. After restarting, it went to normal. I dunno if it has anything to do with the gfxstatus utility that i've installed the night before. I know it might be the nvidia graphic card itself but I just dont have a clue right now. My mbp is just 8 days old and my 1 to 1 exchange has expired since it covers the 1st 7 days only. Please someone help me :(

What should I do now? I had waited for around 3 months for my new i5 MBP since I sold my previous MBP. If i return this one, I dunno for how long I will have to wait again since I'm going to do my daily job on it. Please advice..

my mbp spec:

macbook pro 17" AG, i5 2.53 Ghz, 4gb RAM, 500gb Hitachi HD, 512mb nVidia GT330M video card, Mac OSX 10.6.3, with everything updated.

*the attached pic is not showing the exact image since the screen was flickering etc and I'm just using a camera phone

EDIT - I just noticed while I'm just surfing this forum + facebook, my temperature is at 67-70 degree celcius, which is high (normal around 38-45). I look at Activity Monitor and found that Kernel Task is using up to 80% of CPU. I have a feeling that this is not normal, and it had not happened before. Please help! I dont wanna toast my new MBP.

Attached Files:

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You can either deal with it or take it in for repair. Sometimes repairs take time, it's just a fact of life.

3. max211 thread starter macrumors newbie

what do u think the problem is? If it is because of some kind of software that I just installed, maybe i should just reinstall OSX since it is still new and only the basic softwares are installed.

4. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

I'd run the Apple Hardware Test (think you have to hold down D on boot), and run an extended scan, if there's an issue with the GPU, Logic board etc you'll get an error code which you can google to find out what the problem is.

If no error code is returned and it passes I would reinstall OS X and see if the issue reoccurs.

5. bbnck macrumors 6502

I agree. This could solve your problem (hardware test - if no errors are returned, reinstall OS X). If problem persists, that's when I'd recommend booking a Genius appointment and stating on what you have done already.

6. max211 thread starter macrumors newbie

already ran the apple hardware test. it said there is hardware problem. and i'm so disappointed.will visit apple store tomorrow. Ironically, it looks like(the display'pattern) my previous MBP's problem(c2duo 2.16, 15" glossy, 2gb ram, 128mb ati x1600 gfx card, 128gb hitachi hd). I sold that one n wait more than 3 months to get a brand new mbp only to discover the same problem! I didn't even push the machine yet.only light browsing, IM, simple photoshop resizing n stuffs..

Attached Files:

7. slideworks macrumors member

slideworks

8. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Bring it in while it's new. The newer the better, the less arguing you will have to do with a sanctimonious hipster prick at the genius bar.

9. max211 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to apple service today. Just now, i googled the error code i got from apple hardware test. Found some forum and the advice is to reset pram or something like that(holding command + option + p + r while booting). The guy with the exact error code problem suddenly found that step solved his problem with no more error code after resetting pram. i just decided to try it to see what will happen and to my surprise, no error code for me as well! I ran both normal + extensive test. Both showed no error found. How come a hardware problem can be solved by just a few key clicks or maybe it has not been solved just yet? :confused:

10. Reapur macrumors regular

Damn where do you live? I was able to replace my 17 inch i7 twice at the Apple store due to defective backlighting in the display. 14 day return/exchange should be pretty standard. Im from Toronto Canada. Go in demanding a replacement you spent over $2k for a computer which failed within a week of turning it on, that is totally unacceptable.

Unless you dropped the machine and damaged the screen your self there should be no reason they would not take that back. If they dont, email Steve Jobs: sjobs@apple.com (seriously) and send photos explaining what happend, if his people dont arrange a replacement for you they will email the Apple Store directly and make them replace the machine. I have a few friends that work as Geniuses in NYC and this route will definitely work.

11. max211 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Reapur, thanks for your advice. I'll try and ask for a replacement. but of course I'm hoping that the problem is already gone (Apple Hardware Test shows no error for now) so that I dont have to wait another 3-4 weeks to get my BTO machine.

12. Reapur macrumors regular

Ah I see you purchased online and did a CTO, what I did was buy from the store and put in the upgraded HD my self that way if there were any problems i could just swap in the store with no hassle. Upgrading the HD does not void warranty and is deemed user replaceable by Apple Support. The new HD of course is not covered by Apple but the rest of the computer is. Hard drives are so cheep now they are kind of disposable, just under 100 dollars will get you a 500GB 7200 RPM drive.

But back to the original issue, I would do something sooner rather than later. Like I said you spent over 2k for a laptop which should be problem free for at least one year, get a replacement even if resetting PRAM worked initially.

The artifacts and discolouration are a good indication of bad video memory and you dont want to have the problem crop up 6 months to a year down the line and have to be without a computer when you could have just replaced it within the first two weeks of owning it. Just go into the store with a strong disposition, and dont take no for an answer. Be polite and dont cause a scene just dont back down and they should help you out.

13. max211 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've just returned the faulty mbp and wait for a replacement. It will be another 3 weeks waiting for me since it's a customized version. Thank you to all of you for giving advices. I just hope my next one will last for at least 3 years (my core2duo mbp - 3 years+)

:)

14. Reapur macrumors regular

What did you CTO on it? 7200 RPM drive? If thats the case just buy the computer from the store and change the hard drive your self so you dont have to wait almost a month. Its pretty easy to do your self and you can find detailed guides on ifixit.com about taking the botom case apart.

Go onto Newegg.com and buy a Hitachi 7k500 travelstar 500gb 7200 drive for 80 bucks and get that mac now! After you swap drives you now have a spare drive you can put into an external enclosure (USB or Firewire 800) for 30 dollars and now you have a perfect setup for your Time Machine backup.

15. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

It's not quite as cut and dry as you make it sound. There are multiple threads of someone stripping screws while trying to remove the old hard drive. Screws not fitting back in place and most of all the "customer replaced" hard drive isn't covered by Apple's warranty, if it fails you have to deal with the manufacturer or the 3rd party retailer. May not be a big deal to you but honestly if my Apple product starts giving me trouble I want to take it Apple and let them deal with it. In many cases if the factory installed HDD fails Apple will replace it right inside the retail store. If you order from a 3rd party online you're SOL cause you'll have to ship your drive back to them and wait for a replacement.

16. Reapur macrumors regular

Its dead easy if you use the right tools for the job, if you dont feel like you can unscrew a few screws with a #00 Philips screwdriver then take it to a computer repair center and get them to do it for 50 bucks.. The price of hard drives are so cheep now they are almost disposable. 70 dollars? Big deal just buy a new one. And you already have all your data backed up in Time Machine on the external drive you made from the stock hard drive that originally came with the computer. The expensive bits are the logic board and the display which are still covered under warranty if you swap out the HD.

To each his own, but you make it sound like its really dangerous.

17. InfoSecmgr Guest

InfoSecmgr

I've got the exact same computer, exact same age (literally). I haven't had the issue, but I turned off the auto graphics switching right off the bat. I had heard people were having trouble with that. Just a suggestion.

18. max211 thread starter macrumors newbie

my cto mbp is just for the anti glare screen. I really love the screen its great and all my friends agree with me. ;)

19. Reapur macrumors regular

What the hell ? I was able to buy my Antiglare 17" from the Apple Store directly... Did you ask if they had them in stock? They should carry different screen options in store the only thing thats really CTO is the hard drive options which they will not do in store.

20. max211 thread starter macrumors newbie

Apparently, anti glare screen is not that popular here and all they have at the store are just glossy screens.

Btw do u use photoshop? I found that zooming in or out in photoshop look a bit static with no animation effect even though it's turned on in the preference. Only now that i just thought that maybe there's something wrong with the video card.

21. Baycon macrumors member

Are you using CS4 or CS5? I've had a terrible time with zooming and scrolling in CS5, and had to revert back to CS4 (thankfully, before I spent any money on it)

22. max211 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm using CS5. Do u think it has anything to do with the 64bit or 32bit thingy?