My NEW 17" MBP has the dreaded HD clicking...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Too Many Toys, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Too Many Toys macrumors member

Just got my new 17" HD glossy MBP on 8/30/2007. Now I'm getting the dreaded hard drive clicking. In two past Apple laptops this was soon followed by a complete hard drive meltdown (they were both older, but still within 18 months of new).

Am I being too anal worrying about this? As much as I love Apple's products I seem to have more hard drive issues then I've had w/ Winblows systems. I try to be very gentle with my laptops, but I do transport them in sleep position.

Thoughts?

2. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

You know, of the 2 Macs I've bought in the past 1.5 years, both their hdd's have died.

I know Apple doesn't make them, but what's the deal here? Good thing my PowerBook has AppleCare, or I would have been screwed.

If I were you, I'd have that checked out pronto. You don't want to risk losing data.

What does the SMART status in System Profiler say? (under ATA)

3. Too Many Toys thread starter macrumors member

It says 'Verified' just like the last one did AS it was dying. Funny thing about my other hd failures, the replacement hd's seem to last forever???

4. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I hope you don't mind me asking, but who manufactures the drive and what size is it?

What about the drives you've had that have died previously, do you know the manufacturers?

5. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

Wow, do you live in Arizona, without air-conditioning, have a large rare earth magnet collection on your desk, and like to rip DVDs all day?! :eek:

How can you blow through HDs like that? That sucks.

I've had a few HDs die on me over the years. The clicking only goes away when it locks up and dies. So get it repaired now before it dies on you!

6. ~~Hello~~ macrumors 6502

I had a dell laptop, and from the beginning i used to get random clicks. The hard drive lasted for 2 and a half years though.

7. Too Many Toys thread starter macrumors member

I figure I'm done for my lifetime with bad hard drives, got them all out of the way :D

As an update, the hd seems to have stopped clicking now.

8. DA-Steve macrumors regular

mine is going from bad to worse!! it sounds like an old clock now.. constantly tick tick tick tick tick... driving me nuts!! thankfully going to get serviced next week!

9. wuSHUMast3r macrumors newbie

So this happened to me today, after 11 months of perfection (luckily I'm still under warranty). Is there still hope that my data is still there or is that a long shot?

10. coogee macrumors regular

Doesn't sound good, there'a a post here (about 5 down) that details the technical reason for the click. Just had a 3.5" Seagate HDD fail on me. Did manage to recover some data post-click but lost maybe 30% (spread into everything) :(

11. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

Make sure all of your back-ups are up to date, because your drive could die at any time.