My NEW 2011 15" Macbook Pro Hinge Issues? (It Makes crackling/clicking noise)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by randomrazr, Apr 12, 2011.

1. randomrazr macrumors 65816

Hi everyone,

recently purchased a brand new 2011 macbook pro

everytime i open the lid passed 90 degrees or all the way it makes a couple crackling, kind of like clicking sounds..

i made a vid of it to for those of you who are interested

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D08XSD0vPQ

Anyways, wont be able to go to the apple store since its in toronto canada, which is 3 and a half hour drive and my family usually goes there once during the summer, so hopefully the apple store will be nice enough to replace my notebook. (for 2 grand u expect it to be flawless :s)

anyways for now, is this a cause for alarm?

i initially bought this at best buy, i went there 4 days after there 14 day exchange/return policy but the manager said its to late, and in otherwords, that was some ****** customer service.

but uh yeah, is this bad? anything eles i can do?

thanks!

2. randomrazr thread starter macrumors 65816

3. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

if it gets worse bring it to the apple store...not much else you can do

4. Criticalmass macrumors member

Criticalmass

Return it, our new mbp does not do this. neither should yours.

5. randomrazr thread starter macrumors 65816

alright!

do u know if htey will replace it though?

6. c0mplex macrumors newbie

It does this because it is misaligned. If you look at the hinge, the gap on one side will probably be greater than the gap on the other. THe plus of this is that your hinge will more than likley be tighter/stronger than a normal hinge. My old macbook pro had this and actually preferred it. (this happened when i had them realign the top lid since it was off). My new mac doesn't have this and the lid closes much easier - something that is sometimes not desired.

Close your lid and examine the alignment of the top lid. If it is misaligned to one side then that is probably what is causing the creaking noise when you move it.