My new 21.5" iMac coming from Shanghai

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sgridr, Nov 1, 2015.

1. sgridr macrumors newbie

Took back a new 21.5" iMac that was defective. It was assembled in Fremont, CA. Just ordered another and tracking it on UPS. It's coming from Shanghai, China. Should I be worried? I thought Apple was now assembling their products in the U.S.

2. cynics macrumors G4

I wouldn't be too worried, where did the defective one come from again? ;)

3. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

No, the only Mac model completely assembled in the U.S. is the Mac Pro.

4. sgridr thread starter macrumors newbie

The defective iMac, as per UPS, originated at Quanta Computer in Fremont, CA. On Google, Quanta Computer USA, is one of Apple's final assembler of it's iMacs. The 2nd iMac is coming from Shanghai, China direct to the Apple Store where I picked up the 1st computer and also picking up the 2nd computer.

5. cynics macrumors G4

Haha sorry that was more of a snide remark. My point was that the US assembled one was defective, so why does it matter since in your own experience it's not like that means it's better.

6. sgridr thread starter macrumors newbie

I read on Mac Rumors that the custom iMacs are assembled in the US, that only the stock iMacs come from China. It just got me wondering. Your right, wherever it comes from, I hope it's better than the one I returned!

7. cynics macrumors G4

If you don't mind me asking what was the problem with the first one?

8. OSB macrumors member

This is not accurate; the iMac Shipping Notices thread has many example of CTO builds coming from China.

9. sgridr thread starter macrumors newbie

Took 3 tries to boot up. Changed resolution and then "Display" icon disappeared. Ran slow, slower than my 4 year old iMac. Then beach ball of death started up. Spoke to Apple Care and gal rebooted hard drive and tried a few other things and finally said return it. ! had already decided to return it! Really disappointed. Our family goes way back to the Apple 2 with only minor problems over the years. Hoping the next iMac works without a hitch.