My NEW/2YEARS old Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by hms84, Jun 14, 2008.

1. hms84 macrumors regular

Hello Mac Rumors...
    Probably allot of people did this. I just want to share my experience with the Mac Pro (1st Gen.).
    I was a student when I bought my Mac Pro four months after the release. I was collecting its money for almost three years (^_^), I bought mine for 12000SR (3200$) with a standard Specs. . It was expensive but this was the BEST and CHEAPEST Mac Pro you'll ever get in this country (Saudi Arabia) at that time. (2.66 Quad Core & 1GB RAM). It was my final course in the university and I had to do a BIG project, I had to use two different software for that (All under WINXP ) one called Mimics, which will make 3D objects out of plain CT scan and I used SolidWorks for combining my result from Mimics and another implant I made in SolidWorks. THE RESULTS WERE A FAILURE (For the Mac Pro side at least), I was so disappointed with the results, IT LAGS so much that I couldn't even work on my NEW Mac Pro. We used my friend's laptop because it lags less. Then I tried to look for RAM (1 GB used to cost around 2000SR about 530$). I was so broke those days I couldn't even pay for a meal in McDonald's. Later I decided to make my presentation on Keynote. I had allot of videos in there (since switching between Mac and Win is very difficult), again making them was a headache. I tried to look for RAMs online it was expensive too (at least to me) and it didn’t accept my credit card because it’s non-American one. I was so disappointed with my new Pro. With the release of the new 24-inch iMac, I hated my Mac Pro. I was seriously thinking of selling it and buy one of these 24-inch iMacs. (NO REMOTE, NO WiFi nor BT) with a lack of new Graphics Cards (that time)...........................
    What do I do....?? :confused::confused:
    What did I did, Is it sold or I'm typing with NOW?? :p

TO BE CONTINUE

I'll continue my story later, I want see whether you like it or not (^_^)

2. Celedral macrumors 6502

Celedral

What???? ...................I would be glad to take the mac pro from your hands and replace it with a imac

3. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

There could be a couple factors to it being slow.

Ram: That system has a 256bit wide memory bus, and the sticks are 64 bit. So in order to properly utilize that bus, you need at least 4 sticks of ram. Putting the machine to 2 gigs shouldn't be that expensive. OWC sells it for about 100 bucks. http://www.macsales.com/

Video card: Those 7300s bother me. Its a very low end card compared to a 6600 or 7800. If you can afford to upgrade to a new card (8800gt, ati 1900xt might be cheaper to get yours hands on, there is also a ati 3870 on the way), that might help you a ton with your 3d work.

Otherwise, if you downgrade to a standard iMac you will loose in performance. The 24" iMac 3ghrz with the 8800 gts might be the only one worth downgrading too. In my opinion anyways, I don't one an iMac (can't stand them), purely basing that on specs.

4. hms84 thread starter macrumors regular

Good some action here...
    I'll post episode 2 tomorrow :)

5. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

6. osin macrumors 6502

why not today? ;)

7. hms84 thread starter macrumors regular

Episode 2 (^_^)

FINISHED my university, I started my internship last year in July. :)

Let's jump a little in time... The Aluminum iMac :eek::eek:
    I was stunned when I saw it, I called some Apple shops and asked if someone is interested in buying a used Mac Pro. I looked into allot of places, NO ONE!
    So now I realized the fact that I'm stock with it!!
    My brother was in the states, he asked me "A Mac Pro or an iMac?"
    My brother is a PC gamer, I said "Go with the new Aluminum iMac, Core2Due Extreme". Then Apple released the new Mac Pro with the 8800GT.

I was like "FINALLY, a new Graphics Card!!"
    BUT the BIG SHOCK WAS "Only compatible with the new Mac Pro"
    I was coursing apple so much that day, That's when I realized the fact is buying an iMac is the same as having a Mac Pro, THE PRO isn't upgradable!!

My brother was thanking me allot that I saved his money and got him an iMac. When my brother came from the US, it was the first I ever see the 24-inch Aluminum iMac in real :eek:

.............................................. SEE YA NEXT TIME

8. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

There's an 8800 GT available for the first-generation Mac Pros...

9. GotPro macrumors 6502

And also a 3870HD available for the first generation Mac Pros too.

$199.

Yeah, these machines are sooooooooooo not upgradeable.
    :rolleyes: