My new 4k editing rig!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by JesterJJZ, Aug 16, 2013.

1. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

So here's my setup, or at least will be as soon as everything arrives. Coming from a 2006MP I'm pretty excited! Still debating my additional GFX cards. Just not sold on the new MP thing coming out. My old machine lasted 7 years and still going strong. This one should keep me going for a bit!

2012 Mac Pro - Dual Six Core 2.4 (Refurb, will upgrade processors when prices drop)
    64GB Ram from OWC
    Dual 256GB Samsung 840Pro SSD for Boot - Raid 0
    1TB Velociraptor for Application cache/scratch and sound and image libraries
    Dual 2TB Ultrastars in Raid 1 for project files
    Stock 1TB drive for personal stuff, music, pictures
    External Bluray drive on USB2.0

Slot 1 - Nvidia GXT680
    Slot 2 - Cyclone 2707 Card
    Slot 3 - Atto r680 Raid Card
    Slot 4 - BM Decklink 4k Extreme

Promax 24TB, 8 Bay Raid Tower

In Cyclone Expander

Slot 1 - GFX Card 2???
    Slot 2 - GFX Card 3???
    Slot 3 - Red Rocket
    Slot 4 - Atto h644
    Slot 5 - Caldigit esata/usb3.0 card

4 Bay trayless drive cage with fanout from h644
    External SAS port for LTO drive in the future

For monitors I currently have a 30" ACD and a 23" ACD plus Panasonic production monitor.

Turning my 2006 into my secondary machine and dual boot win7 machine so I can dump my aging HP pavilion.

2. Macsonic macrumors 65816

Macsonic

AWESOME Setup! :) Congrats on your power video station. I also got the tower Mac Pro since the new 2013 Mac Pro won't suit my needs and cost was a factor. Enjoy!

3. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

Sounds like a monster. Why not put the Blu-ray in the second optical drive bay?

Lou

4. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

I'm not sure if this will be an issue for you, but in my 2009 Mac Pro (which I believe uses the same architecture and chip set) I could not get more than 1GB/s out of either of the top x4 slots. My RAID card with 3xSSDs in RAID0 would top out at around 980MB/s in either of those slots, but in the x16 slot, it would hit 1380MB/s which is more in line with the limit of the SSDs. This is strange because 1380MB/s is well within the bandwidth of a x4 slot.

I'm not sure what's limiting it, but something was/is. Maybe it's just my particular card in that slot or maybe it's something in the main board design.

And note that last I talked to Caldigit about their eSATA/USB3 card, there was major limitations with that as well...

Here's what they said when In inquired about using a couple of SSDs on it...

5. JesterJJZ thread starter macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

No more sata ports. Four bays filled and dual SSDs in the optical. I already had the external Bluray anyway. On thing that gave the older models an upper hand was that they had 2 pata connectors for optical. As far as I know the two sata connectors that are on the logic board are the ones that connect to the optical bays.

----------

Well, my Raid unit is supposed to top off a little over 900MB/s so I think I should be ok. That comes in on monday so I'll be sure to do some tests.

Also, I'm aware of the FASTA-6GU3 issues, but I have 2 of them in my 2006 and they suit my needs just fine. Moving one of them to the new system.