My New Black MacBook!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by farmerku, May 22, 2008.

1. farmerku macrumors regular

farmerku

I just walked in the door with my new 2.4 Black MacBook and I am officially in love.

I know everybody posts questions when they first get their macbooks and I have a few quick ones of myself.... because as much as I love this thing I feel like my grandma trying to send an email on this thing...

I downloaded mozilla firefox and it loaded on the tool bar though there is still a mozilla icon on my background below the HD and it has the firefox logo with a white cd drive looking thing behind it.

How to I get this to go away?

Im sure I will have many questions later today and in the future and I will do my best to use the search tool to find answers but sometimes that gets difficult.

THANK YOU EVERYBODY FOR YOU HELP THIS PAST MONTH WITH ALL THE QUESTIONS AND INFORMATION ON HERE!!

YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST APPLE SALES PEOPLE AROUND!!!!

THANKS AGAIN

2. Qwest905 macrumors 6502

Qwest905

that's pretty much just an image file

so you can put that in the trash

and congrats on being a converter

i converted like 3 weeks ago...it's pretty easy to learn

3. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Disk images get "mounted" on the desktop. It's like a virtual CD drive. You eject it like you would a physical CD. Either drag it to the trash, right click and Eject, or press Command-E.

4. bassanoclapper macrumors 6502

bassanoclapper

Well done & congrats. I found the Mac OS X Leopard Pocket Guide extremely useful as a recent switcher. Published by O'Reilly, about $15 I think

5. farmerku thread starter macrumors regular

farmerku

I've been on this thing for about two hours and I still feel like I don't know what I'm doing but I'm sure it will get easier.

When I ejected the firefox drive it removed firefox from my dock and then I couldn't find it?

6. nburwell macrumors 68030

nburwell

After you download Firefox, open the folder, then double click on your HD. Drag the Firefox icon to your applications folder. Then go into your applications folder and drag the icon to your desktop toolbar. You should be able to eject the Firefox "virtual CD drive" from there and open the application without any problems.

7. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

If you downloaded Firefox, it should still be in your Download folder. Open Finder, and there should be a folder on the left side called Downloads.

8. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

yeah almost everything u donwload thats a .dmg file (or mounted) you have to drag into ur apps folder to save and then just eject the "virtual" mounted disk.

9. EmptyCalm macrumors member

man your lucky

*counting the days till I get my black MacBook*

10. jbo0gie macrumors newbie

i'm counting the days til my blackbook arrives too. its suppose to ship today! so hopefully it'll be here by early next week. fedex doesnt work on memorial day do they? i don't have work (university job) so they probably wont either.. my free printer is arriving today though, lol not that i care about that.

11. EmptyCalm macrumors member

Your a step ahead of me
    I haven't even ordered it yet. :'(

12. farmerku thread starter macrumors regular

farmerku

is there anyway to remove programs such as garage band from my dock.. i doubt i will ever use it

i remv

13. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

Drag it to the trash...

14. LightDemon69 macrumors member

To remove something from your dock, just grab the icon and drag it off teh dock. When you let go of the mouse, the icon will disappear in a cloud of smoke.

15. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

lol this guy reminds me when i got my first mac i knew how to use it and such get my way around (since my brother had a g5 imac) but not to install things such as firefox lol nor msn or ms office 2004 too bad my trusty ol imac g3 died :(

16. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Removing a item from the dock just deletes the shortcut to the program. If you want to delete it permanently, open Finder, go to Applications and drag Garage Band to the trash.

17. farmerku thread starter macrumors regular

farmerku

WOW!!! I am fascinated by this thing...

I've been foolings around all day I now I really feel like I have the hang of it!

Once again thanks for all the help.. you guys are amazing!!!!!

18. Ryuukumori macrumors 6502

No prob. Glad you finally got it.

So what do you plan to do on it? Photo work? Music production with Garage Band? Maybe some iMovie?

Oh man, I can't wait to get one before college. :D

19. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

You might want to hold on to GarageBand, if you like making your own ringtones, for one. Remember, you've got 250GB of space, and you've probably got over 200GB free space, so don't go deleting stuff that you haven't tried out yet. (Then again, it's your BlackBook!) Next, you'll get the new iPhone! LOL Congrats. :p

20. Qwest905 macrumors 6502

Qwest905

lol i went the other way around..iphone first than macbook

21. *Sandy* macrumors 6502

22. farmerku thread starter macrumors regular

farmerku

I almost feel like a pro at this.. :cool: but I am definitely not though I am still having a blast on this baby... just a few more questiones..

I found a link on here for some good apps but I can't seem to relocate it..

I've downloaded a bunch of widgets and Transmission for my torrents, any other recommendations or links to threads on here that I am not able to locate?

23. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler