My new CyberPower UPS- Energy Saver settings

Discussion in 'iMac' started by TrboMac, May 21, 2013.

1. TrboMac macrumors regular

TrboMac

I recently got this CyberPower UPS for my birthday. I just hooked it up today after charging the battery overnight. The USB cable is attached and OSX recognizes it perfectly.

There are a lot of settings/check boxes to choose from. I'm not sure which ones to check and which ones to leave unchecked, being this is my first UPS.

I did search the countless UPS threads but my head is spinning. Feel free to link if it's been covered.

PS. The unit is advertised being 'pure sine wave' but the box said 'adaptive sine wave'. I emailed CS and they said is was a matter of verbiage and that the two are the same.

2. TrboMac thread starter macrumors regular

TrboMac

I attached two screenshots of what I'm questioning in case it helps to see them.
    Screen Shot 2013-05-21 at 2.58.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2013-05-21 at 2.58.20 PM.png

3. richard13 macrumors 6502a

All these settings appear to be optional and, as long as you have no objection, can leave them as is.

The shutdown options might be interesting to you if you think you may encounter a power outage while you are away from your computer and want to have your system gracefully shutdown. If you don't choose any of these options I'd hope the software would just shutdown your computer when the UPS battery drains to some low but safe level. I don't have this model so that last point is a guess. If this isn't the case, I'd probably choose the one that tells the UPS to shutdown the computer when the power available is 25%.

4. TrboMac thread starter macrumors regular

TrboMac

Yeah, I guess it was the second picture/shutdown options I was most curious about, the first one is self explanatory.

I chose to shut down when battery reaches under 50%. I guess if you 'tick' more than one box in the shutdown menu, whichever happens first will happen.