My new eMac G4 1.25GHz

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by WalnutSpice, Oct 16, 2015.

1. WalnutSpice Suspended

WalnutSpice

I've been wanting an eMac for a super long time, since I first used one in Elementary school in the Tiger days. I recently got one from a friend but it has it's issues.
    When I got it, it ran Panther and froze the second it booted and loaded the dock. So, I popped in my Tiger disk and repaired the permissions and disk. That stopped the freezing almost entirely. So after playing with Panther, I tossed in my Tiger DVD and reformatted the drive and reinstalled. It works fine, when under no load at all.
    But if I so much as run Safari with Google loaded and play a song on Spotify it just breaks down and stops responding. I'm thinking it could be the hard drive failing (40GB Model) or a bad CPU / Logic Board. Luckily for me, the eMac is just super easy to open and repair. It also has some display issues. The display doesn't get cut off like most people report, just staticy. It also needs a new PRAM battery, RAM upgrade and hopefully soon, Leopard.
    Any recommendations on how I should go about repairing it and what I could use it for?

edit: It also for some reason cannot mount any DMG file.

2. comda macrumors 6502a

comda

I would replace the Drive. It seems rather odd. I would also take a look at the RAM. The Main thing for the freezing i would make sure the exhuast fans are nice an clean as well as the heatsink. When i bought mine, it wouldnt boot Tiger. I tore it apart and it was full of dust, and later the drive died.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The freezing a is a known issue when eMac's logicboard capacitors start to go back, also a common problem with many eMac models. You can do a quick check by removing the RAM door and looking around at the capacitors. If any of them are bulging or have goop coming out of them, then you'll need to replace them. It's fairly easy to do if you are handy with a soldering iron.

4. comda macrumors 6502a

comda

Well, dang. I didnt see any on my emac going, but i find my emac rather sluggish with leopard

5. flyrod macrumors 6502

flyrod

If it's definitely temperature related, maybe the CPU heatsink needs to be cleaned out, re-pasted, etc.?

6. WalnutSpice thread starter Suspended

WalnutSpice

Oh sorry, I forgot to reply. One of the capacitors did blow.