My new favorite case- Contour Flick

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Ferris23, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

So in my never ending quest to find the perfect case I decided to take back the Incase Slider and try something new. Although I had contacted Incase prior to my decision to return the case and now they are sending me a replacement. So I am getting a free slider but that wasn't my intent. I contacted customer support because my matte finish started peeling and she sent out a replacement that day. The next day I decided I wanted something else. I'm not a scammer so don't give me ****. ;)

First here is a rundown of what I have had-

1st) Incipio Silicone Case-
    Pros- Very slim and hardly adds any bulk to the phone, fits the phone great, smooth feel, "only" 19.99

Cons- Lint magnet(although not as bad as some silicone), stretches the more you take the phone out and actually started losing it's shape around the chrome border, easily moves off the chrome which is both annoying and leads to possible scratching of the trim.

2nd) Griffin Elan Form (Black w/ fake leather) -
    Pros- Sturdy case and fit's the phone like a glove, has a nice feel and look (if alligator skin is your thing), easy to remove phone in and out of the case though possible to cause scratches because it has no rubber bumper guards like the other newer cases

Cons- Pleather seems like it is bound to peel off at some point, the case leaves the top and side pretty open, adds a pretty significant amount of bulk to the phone, especially the lip around the chrome which is raised pretty high compared to the phone, the seam left from the removable dock section seems a little raised and isn't quite as flush as it could be.

3rd) Incase Slider Matte Black-
    Pros- Matte finish is great for minimal scratches and great for pockets, fits the phone where it counts for protection and just feels nice, has rubber strips inside to slightly raise the phone off the back to prevent scratching from particles that may get into the case. Seems like it offers great protection from a good fall, a very solid little nugget.

Cons- Matte finish comes off easily. If you scratch this case it's over, the finish is going to peel from that point on. It's a glossy case underneath and they really don't adhere the finish properly, or thick enough, it seems like the case is raised on the back because there are many gaps you can see under the camera hole and by the head phone port. Granted any case is going to allow dust in, but there are some pretty big gaps left by this case. If you remove the dock section of it you can see that the case is actually curved higher than the phone and you can even press the case down due to this gap. The major downside is the bulk it creates by this gap, it's not quite as form fitted to the phone as I would have liked and IMO feels big. Though most cases feel bulky to me, great if you want major drop protection but annoying if you keep the phone in your pocket.

4th) Contour Flick- (My new favorite)
    Pros Great looking case, almost hard to tell there is one on. It has the same gloss finish as the phone. It is also ridiculously slim, this easily is the best fit to the phone of any of the cases I have tried besides the silicone. Has same rubber strips to prevent scratching on the back. It doesn't have a high lip over the chrome, even leaves some exposed to keep the look of the phone. It is pretty much flush with the face of the phone, though ever so slightly raised to prevent the face from making contact with a surface.

Cons-Without question this case is for minimal drops and good scratch protection. IMO it will protect the phone for a decent fall, but I'm not sure how well the case itself would manage to hold up. It certainly will protect the phone better than a skin alone but if drop protection is your goal, this may not be the best case for you. I want something that I can slide around on my desk, or put on a hard surface without working about dings or scratches as well as something that would protect from a minor drop.

The case itself scratches easier than the matte slider. This is the nature of the glossy plastic beast. I have the black and while it has some scratches, it doesn't look bad at all unless you stare at it against the light and even then it's only hairline swirly ones. The case takes the scratches so the phone won't. At some point you have to accept scratches on something. The plus is unlike the matte slider, the finish on this phone will remain intact.

Also this case leaves the bottom bezel of the phone exposed which may bother some. I actually put a small strip of scotch tape on the chrome just to prevent minor scratches and you really can't even see it. Again this case is a nice balance of protection while not making your phone feel huge.

So in the end the case that fits my needs best is the Contour Flick. I wanted something that would protect more than just a skin, but also wanted something that would keep the feel of the phone. This case not only keeps the feel of the phone intact, but also the look of the Iphone. I honestly can't feel a size difference at all compared to the Elan and Slider. Not the best for protection, but a nice balance of looks and keeping the phone in good shape.

I hope this helps someone make a decision and if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

The Incase Slider would be my second choice if the Flick wasn't available.

2. greedyboy macrumors newbie

You got any pics of the contour flick on the iPhone 3G?

Ive ordered one, just want to see what it looks like on.

3. Ferris23 thread starter macrumors 68020

Not my pics, but a good show for the case.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

My husband got one, because he liked the way it looked on his bosses iphone. :rolleyes:

No, but really...I've played with his, while in the case...and it is great all around.

5. Sojourn macrumors member

I got this case, too. When I went to get my iPhone, it was only a few minutes before the Apple Store was closing, and we were having some problems with the activation, so I only had a minute to look at cases and grab one before heading out of the store (I wanted to take the phone out of its wrapping and put it straight into a case right away). The only reason I mention this is because I feel like I should explain that I grabbed this case without taking a more thorough look at the competition.

In any case (no pun intended), I've been fairly pleased with it so far. I really like the way it fits to the phone, and doesn't add much bulk -- I've already have a few people mention that they didn't realize I had a case on the phone at all. There are some minor scuffs on the back, but that's why I got the case -- so I could keep my device pristine, and have the case take the damage instead. I do wish there was a matte option -- Contour had another case next to this one on the shelf that had some sort of mixed matte and glossy pattern on the back, and while I liked the look of the matte, I didn't like the pattern, so I didn't get it. I've gotten used to the glossy, though, and like it overall.

My major complaint (and the one most likely to make me look for a replacement) is the access to the hold button. It's hard to see in the pictures posted above, but there's a rubber/matte plastic-y button covering the phone's hold button, which I find makes it harder to push (and I miss the tactile click of the button itself). There have been times when I've had to push down a lot harder than I would have thought on the hold button to get it to register, and plenty of times when it hasn't registered the button press at all, and I've needed to go and press it again, harder. If anyone has found a way to make this better, definitely let me know -- it would do a great deal to make me want to keep this case even more!

Take care,
    Sojourn

6. Ferris23 thread starter macrumors 68020

Funny you mention that, and I wonder if they adjusted something because I actually find I have to press down with less pressure to hit the button. It's never been hit on accident, but it certainly takes less of a push to nail it. Can you remove the cover?

7. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

You know that the button is removable right? It just pulls right off, and if you decide you want it back on, you just pop it back in place. No problems. :)

8. Sojourn macrumors member

Well, well, well -- would you look at that! I had been wondering if that was possible, but didn't want to risk damaging the case if I was wrong. I've gone ahead and taken it off, and I have my Hold button back! :) The fact that the case comes up in a ridge around it makes it a little harder to access quickly than if there wasn't a case at all, but I'm guessing that this would be a problem with any case, right?

Thanks again -- I'm much happier, now that I have my button again. :)

Take care,
    Sojourn

9. Ferris23 thread starter macrumors 68020

Cool, I removed the button as well. I just like the look of the chrome button.

10. Sojourn macrumors member

Yeah, same here. :) 'Tis quite beautiful. The case also looks a little less bulky now, in my opinion.

Take care,
    Sojourn

11. Ferris23 thread starter macrumors 68020

You're right, it does seem even more streamlined without it.

12. WilliamG macrumors G3

Not a fan of the Flick. Too easily scratched. Seems to me it's mostly pointless to have a cover that looks like the iPhone since it scratches so easily. To me there's no difference, practically, in a scratched cover or a scratched phone. They both look like ass. :D

I really like the Elan Form case, and have yet to see a better one than that. So easy to hold (doesn't slip out of your hand like the Flick), and generally very-well built.

13. Ferris23 thread starter macrumors 68020

The scratches are hardy seen unless you angle the thing against the light and stare at them. Did you have the case? I have scratches on mine and I can barely see them. The Elan was a nice build, and sturdy. Though quite a few have a problem with the leather peeling off.

I guess they all have their negatives. But to say the Flick looks like ass because it has scratches isn't accurate IMO. This coming from someone who is abnormally anal about phone scratches and cosmetic defects.