Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sixsation

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2011
Hi everyone,
december 2010 I bought my first mac. Its an iMac 21.5 - i5 - ATI Radeon HD 5670.

I have not had any problems with it untill yesterday, when i shut down unexpectedly while I was playing a game. I couldnt turn it back on for some time. I tried again an hour later and I could turn it on again. But it happened again while i was checking out a stream, but only after it had been running for hours. It seems pretty hot on the top half of the backside of it when it shuts down.

Is there a good test i can download that can help me locate the problem? What do you guys surgest i do? I realize that this could be a fan-problem but is there a way for me to be sure?

Best regards
Albert

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
This does sound like overheating

Hi everyone,
december 2010 I bought my first mac. Its an iMac 21.5 - i5 - ATI Radeon HD 5670.

I have not had any problems with it untill yesterday, when i shut down unexpectedly while I was playing a game. I couldnt turn it back on for some time. I tried again an hour later and I could turn it on again. But it happened again while i was checking out a stream, but only after it had been running for hours. It seems pretty hot on the top half of the backside of it when it shuts down.

Is there a good test i can download that can help me locate the problem? What do you guys surgest i do? I realize that this could be a fan-problem but is there a way for me to be sure?

Best regards

Albert
Download DesktopMonitor app from the macapp store let it run and post you temperatures.

I'm thinking this may have to go back to Apple, but check first :)

Sixsation

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2011
Thanks I downloaded it and ran it. Started one of my games to see what happened.

No CPU-fan speed.

Now I have no idea what levels of heat that are outside the limits, but the CPU went above 200F (80C) pretty fast.

Is that indication enough that I have to send it back to apple?

Regards Albert

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Return At Once

Thanks I downloaded it and ran it. Started one of my games to see what happened.

No CPU-fan speed.

Now I have no idea what levels of heat that are outside the limits, but the CPU went above 200F (80C) pretty fast.

Is that indication enough that I have to send it back to apple?

Regards Albert

No CPU fan activity means it's not working.....Back to Apple I'm afraid

----------

DO NOT USE IT, you will cause more damage if you do....Let us know how you go.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.