My new iMac!...Impressions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by blueicedj, Aug 20, 2007.

1. blueicedj macrumors 6502

Ok...my new iMac came a few days early! It was like waking up Christmas morning...Anyways, so far, I'm liking this system. I've never owned a mac before. Setting up the computer was so easy and fun. It just...well...worked. I'm importing all my stuff right now, and have only run in to a few issues, which I've fixed. Mostly word compatibility.
    The thing I was most relieved about...Absolutely no defects on my monitor! No dead pixels or anything. These forums really scared me when everyone was saying that they were getting dead pixels. As for the glare...I wont lie...there is some if you look in the right places, but it doesn't bother me at all.

The built in speakers were probably the best built in monitor speakers I have ever heard.
    I popped in the Matrix to test movie quality and sound. It was great.
    The black border around the screen is very nice It actually makes the chin look a LOT smaller than the older model.

If anyone has a specific question about the iMac feel free to ask
    I have the 2.8ghz 24" monitor with a 500gb hard drive.

As a last note...this machine is great!

2. panicbutton macrumors newbie

VERY Interested...

I am considering dumping my MBP for one of these machines, since I seem to never need to carry my computer around anymore...

However, my MBP does decent in gaming performance, and some of the reports that I've heard about the new iMac say that the Graphics Card suc...

(ahem) well, let's just say the reports have been less than flattering. ;)

If you happen to get Boot Camp installed with something like - Battlefield 2 installed, I would be curious as to the performance and with what settings. Otherwise, if you have any other info that you think someone might appreciate, please put it in!

-PB

P.S. - Oh, and how is the keyboard to type on? :confused:

3. blueicedj thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll probably eventually put XP on it through bootcamp...can't say I'm much of a PC gamer though...don't really own any PC games besides minesweeper, haha.

The keyboard, I like it, it feels nice, types pretty nice. Has some weight to it which is nice, it's very balanced. Tweaked some of the settings though to make it better.
    I do have one problem with the keyboard though, and I can understand why they would make it...to clear cable clutter...but the USB cable is just way to short. If you plan on putting your keyboard on a slider under your desk you'll need an extension cord.

4. basherhp2112 macrumors member

basherhp2112

First Mac

I also recently received my iMac...Last Friday to be exact.

All I can say is it is simply AWESOME!

I am a Mac Newbie, Mac Virgin, Switcher, Mac... (Fill in the blank)

I switched from a Micron PC with Windows XP to a nice 24" iMac.

I ordered my iMac with a 2.4GHz Processor and a 320GB Hard Drive.
    - I found that I could get a backup external hard drive at Frys very cheaply.

The only upgrade I did was to increase the 1GB to 2GB of Memory.

I have told all of my friends that I have went to the Dark Side.

I say this because as I am writing in this Forum on my iMac, while looking at a Black Apple Logo. :apple:

I have already added a New User (The Wife) and turned on "Fast User Switching with each of us having to login.

I feel as though I have invested in three computers.:D

One for me, one for the wife and one with Windows XP.

I am very happy and I really enjoy the MacRumors Website. :cool:

I hope I may be able to help those new Switchers out there.

Maybe in time I will be able to convert more of my PC co-workers to join the dark side with me.

Peace :apple:

5. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

I am sure you mean the bright side, nothing dark or voodoo about a Mac ;)

6. Southern macrumors regular

Southern

Glad that you're happy with your purchase, although you should be: you have bought the most expensive all-singing-all-dancing high end model!

I have just ordered the entry-level 20" iMac with a 320Gb HDD upgrade, so I am looking forward to a future of iMac bliss as well. It's good to hear that the experience is going to be great right out of the box! The only problem is that there is a two-week wait time for the iMac via the UK Apple Store, probably so that they can send it to the moon to get the hard drive upgraded :D

Never mind, I'm sure my XP box won't die suddenly on me, although as soon as I get all the data onto the Mac, I'm booting and nuking my old XP install (oh yes, fear the destruction of a mere floppy disk wiping your HDD, foul Windows install!) and either reinstalling Windows or dual booting to Ubuntu.

7. tomoisyourgod macrumors regular

My first Mac as the iMac - a great machine.

I know the feeling when you first get one, I got mine in September last year... even though there is a new one out, I still love this one!

8. psonice macrumors 6502a

Delivery times...

I'm still waiting for mine - ordered it 10 days ago over the phone to apple UK(I get education discount - BIG HINT FOR ANYONE WHO GETS THE SAME - you seem to get extra discount if you phone up instead of using the apple web site! I got around £100 extra off! The last imac I ordered a year or two back got about the same!)

What's worrying me a bit though is the delivery time - the last update on the page is dated today (21st) and says it should be delivered YESTERDAY! Looks like apple have a few bugs in their system... Oh well, at least I was in yesterday :eek:

9. Southern macrumors regular

Southern

Well, technically my first mac was an iMac G3 233Mhz (first model ever made!) that I picked up for free. I aim to photograph them side by side as a kind of "see how far you've come, little iMac" photo.

10. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

I'm pleased to hear about the speaker quality but AFAIK, the old 24" had two extra speakers over the 20".

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

It is actually quite nice. I too was concerned when I heard about it, but it is very nice to use.

12. GNice macrumors 6502

Just switched myself! Seems there a quite a number of us that have purchased our first Mac. I bought VMWare for the occasional need to run XP (work stuff). I don't think I'll ever own a PC again.

On the glare front, the only time I notice it is when I'm in this forum and someone mentions it. :)

The new iMac's are GREAT!