My New iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MacM4ODA, Feb 28, 2016.

1. MacM4ODA macrumors regular

why a surprise, it was scheduled to be delivered Monday, but it came yesterday,
    it has El Capitan v-10.11 some things are the same some things are very different, i hope you folks don't mind helping me get accustomed to this new computer, it has the magic keyboard and mouse. does anyone have the same or similar computer?

i lost the passwords to several of my favorite sites, can i retrieve them from the old one if yes, how?

thank you!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes... boot to the old Mac then open the Keychain application and in the search box at the top start typing the site name to find the Keychain entry for that site. Once you find the entry, double click on it to open the entry. Check the box at the lower right to see the password. Once you click that box you will be prompted for your login password to display the password.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

All new iMacs have the new keyboard nd mouse - what mode did you get, 21", 4k iMac, 27" 5k iMac, etc, etc.

Congrats on your new baby :)

4. MacM4ODA, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016

MacM4ODA thread starter macrumors regular

21", the 27 is too big for my area.

how do i c&p with my mouse?

^^^^ i found it ^^^^^^^

5. MacM4ODA thread starter macrumors regular

i also found out last night that the keyboard/mouse charging cable will also charge my :apple: iPhone 5S

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yep, Apple for some reason opted for the Lightening cable :)

7. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Congrats on your new iMac! It's always fun to get a new Apple toy. :)

Yes, the lightning cable pretty much charges everything. You will also find that the mouse only takes a few minutes to grab a pretty sizeable charge to last you the whole day.

Have fun!

8. MacM4ODA thread starter macrumors regular

thank you all for the congrats..., i love it but it seems to be a whole new learning experience.

NOW! how do i set up my email?

when i went thru the initial start up there was tag that said something about importing from the old computer, i chose to do it later due to possibly importing a virus so i could install my anti virus first, now i can not find the option to download now..,help!!!

9. MacM4ODA thread starter macrumors regular

is that what the two ports marked with a listening strike symbol in the back are for? are they for input/output ?

10. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

The two ports on the back are thunderbolt ports - external displays, drives, docks. They can handle input and output.

11. MacM4ODA thread starter macrumors regular

another thing i discovered, i need to get a new printer or hook my printer to the old imac my printer is about 6 or 7 y.o.and not supported by this new imac.

12. MrNomNoms macrumors 65816

MrNomNoms

Best thing to do is if you don't require colour then grab a Brother HL-2140 which is pretty cheap to run and works well with OS X.