My New iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by airjuggernaut, Nov 3, 2007.

1. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

Hello Everyone!
    You might or might not remember me, but I was the guy who wasn't too sure about getting a Mac Mini or Macbook a few weeks back.

Well, I got some good news, my plans for the Mini got Upgraded.....Quite a lot.
    I'm now the proud owner of a brand spankin' new iMac.

The day started off funnily, when I woke up, my mom told me to pickup all the apples that fell off the tree in our back yard and throw them out. I laughed because I thought it was a sign from above telling me I'm getting a Mac Today :p But unfortunately i thought it was a bad omen after i was done picking up a crap load of rotten bug infested apples :p.

So I went to the apple store today all pumped for either a Macbook or a Mini, I went with my family in tow. I was really excited because I would finally get my reward for working my ass off during the summer. So with around $900 bucks I saved up (My dad is covering however much more I owe for whatever I buy, I'm going to pay him back at a later date). Now I was ready to get 'a' spendin on some fine apple merchandise.

We got inside the apple store (Sherway Gardens for all those Canadians Out there) and it was PACKED! So I run right in and get to the nearest Macbook on display, I showcase it to my family and they seem to like it, but they like the "Silver thing" on display. That silver thing was the iMac. So I show them the iMac, they're quite impressed while I launch up iTunes and play some Dani California, while showing off Expose and the iSight. Unfortunately I don't think they had a Mac Mini on display, so i couldn't show that to them. My parents then ask me "what's the price difference between the Macbook and the iMac?" I check both the price tags, and tell them its about $50. They then are like "Why don't you get that instead?" I then just had one of those "**** why didn't I think of that?" moments. A few weeks before I told them about the Mini, they told me to get the Macbook instead, I didnt tell them about the iMac because I never seemed to be too interested in it. So after screwing around and showing my family some stuff around the apple store, a nice apple sales associate comes up to me. Her name was Christina, we start having a chat. I tell her about all the iMac issues i've been hearing about, and she was suprised. She wanted find out about it, so I took her to Macrumors, but unfortunately the forums were down. After a little more chatting about things, she told me how I already know my stuff quite well. I was like "yeah... thats what happens when you have fantasies about holding a macbook every night" :p (I think I kinda creeped her out there).

So then after final discussions with my parents, I was now decided on the 20inch 2.0ghz iMac :). It's funny I came in for a Macbook or a Mini, but was now about to walk out with an iMac. I also picked up a Canon PIXMA MP470 while I was at it. (Costs $20 after $130 rebate). Once we got to the counter, to pay my dad's debit card ran into some bank purchase limit restriction ( He apparently has some limit on how much money can be spent at once). After about an hour, that all got sorted out, and I was on my way home with a brand spankin' new iMac! An apple employe helped me take it to the car, on my way all these people were like "He's Getting an iMac!" or they were just looking at it :p This one guy was walking by with a MacBook Pro box in hand, and said to his wife "Wow the iMac's pretty huge."
    After while in the elevator the employee helping me take the mac to car started having a chat with me, she told me that "Once you go Mac, you'll never go back" I laughed :p I was anxious to get home and power my bad ass iMac up :D

So here are my Pictures.
    New iMac!
    [​IMG]
    iMac With Printer
    [​IMG]
    Old Setup. Good Bye PC :D
    [​IMG]
    My Cat Inspecting the new box (dont worry only looks sad, because of the flash blinding it)
    [​IMG]
    Opening up the iMac:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My New Setup:
    [​IMG]

Leopard:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The leopard upgrade had some issues, when it was done, It wouldn't let me login, so I had to Archive and Install, kinda pissed me off, but can't blame apple, Leopards still new.
    I think the whole Screen issue is blown out proportion, I didn't notice any problems at the store, and don't notice anything on my screen. My iMac has yet to freeze, lets hope that stays like that.

Overall my First ever mac purchase has been an amazing experience. It has helped me learn that money is hard as **** to earn, and I am truly grateful for all the things my parents do for me. Now I just have to learn and get used to Mac OSX, currently the only thing bothering me is the lack of right click:p

Hope You Enjoyed it!
    For all of you holding back on your iMac Purchases, I would say goto the store and check out the iMac yourself, and if you like it buy it, if you don't, wait.

2. ImperialX macrumors 65816

ImperialX

Congrats for the awesome decision. The 2400xt models never freeze, as it's only the 2600Pro that has the issues, so don't worry.

I'm getting my iMac in a week. It's the 20" 2.4Ghz model. After seeing your photos I'm pumped up even more. Can't wait!

3. cheapa55 macrumors 6502a

Congrats. I can't wait to order mine next week. Hopefully it will be here after I get back from Hawaii!!!! Wohoo, it's going to be a great holiday season. :)

4. blumoon macrumors member

Congratulations! I just bought an iMac too and I'm loving it. This is my first mac as well so I understand your excitement.
    Have fun.

5. Tragedies macrumors 6502

Congratulations ;D I bought my iMac two weeks ago and am loving it. Have yet to receive Leopard though.

*cheers*

6. gorby macrumors 6502

I don't know why people don't tell others when they mention this "right click" thing-- no one told me!

So let me be the person to tell you!

The mighty mouse IS a two button mouse. Matter of fact it's a four botton mouse if you consider the center click and side button. For some reason- and I really have no idea why- the 'right button' was set to function the same as the 'left button' by default... which makes you think you're only using a one-button mouse. Changed it in prefs to 'right click' and it pretty much functions the way your old PC mouse did! Except with an amazing scroll ball that must be alien technology.

From a new Mac owner to another. Enjoy your mac!

7. BlakTornado Guest

BlakTornado

That jams up within a month of use? :p I'm already on my second from Apple, and it's already starting to jam up, too.
    And a mouse that REALLY hurts your hands for weeks until you just get used to the pain :p

Oh well xD It's a good mouse apart from that!

Anyway, congrats on your first Mac purchase!

My 2.4Ghz 20" Model came two months ago and it was my first Mac too. The "Once you go Mac, you never go back" statement is true. Heck, I don't even WANT to use a PC ever again (I kinda have to since I spent all my money on my iMac and didn't save any for software, which is a problem a lot of switchers run into)

But congrats! I hope you and your iMac live a happy life together :D

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I got my first Mac in late August. I'm looking to slowly replacing the other 2 PCs in my house. Congrats on your new iMac, I'm sure you will love it.

9. airjuggernaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks Everyone, Hope all of you experience the same joy I did when i got the iMac :)

Oh yeah I just changed the settings, thank you so much, it was just about driving me nuts :|

I installed Vista via bootcamp, and ran CS:source, Its running at 115 FPS :|
    Thats AN INSANE Ammount, considering my old computer could only do 15 or 20 fps :|

I love Apple :D

10. czachorski macrumors 6502a

czachorski

I love it when someone gets their first mac and is so excited, and posts a bunch of pictures of the whole process. Brings back good memories of my own switch 5 years ago. The OP is in for a fun treat these next couple of months, as you realize how amazing these Macs are.

Congrats! And enjoy.....

11. l33r0y macrumors 6502

Sigh.... I hope to produce a thread like this when I eventually order mine... :)

Looks like your desk was made for the 20" iMac - it's a perfect fit!

12. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Congrats on your new iMac. Congrats on working for the summer toward your own computer too. P.S I don't see your black microfiber screen cloth in the pictures.

13. airjuggernaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

lol yeah I said the same thing when I was setting it up! haha

The microfiber cloth is there :p I just didnt take a picture of it. Look at the picture captioned "My New Setup" and look left of Halo 3 flag, you'll see it sitting there.

14. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Right Mouse Click

Go to System Preferences and then Keyboard and Mouse, choose the mouse tab and for the right mouse button choose secondary or some such... you now have right mouse click...:eek:

15. airjuggernaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

haha thank you, but some one else also pointed that out to me a few posts above. But I appreciate it.

16. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I'm so happy for you!!! Enjoy your iMac!

I went back to Mac a few years ago, and it was such an amazing feeling.

The iMac is such a wonderful computer. You're going to get so much wonderful use out of it. Keep us updated over the next few days with how things are going.

Your printer looks pretty cool too. Be sure to get your rebate sent in correctly.

Congrats!

17. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Sorry

Not feeling well today, in bed, and went from your question to my answer without reading, risky....

18. techie4life macrumors 6502

Congrats man! You sound kinda my age. I worked all summer and ended up with a 2.4Ghz model with 2Gb RAM, .mac, AppleCare, and Final Cut Express HD! I know how grueling a summer's work can be when you have you eye set on what to but at the end! I am so happy that mine has no issues whatsoever, and I bought it the day they were released. I guess I got lucky! Enjoy!

19. Nightline macrumors regular

Nightline

Congrats airjuggernaut,

I am sure you will continue to love it. I am a mac newbie myself, actually, this is day 9 for me, and I just put a nice pc that I have up on Ebay about 3 hours ago. I may actually replace it with a Mac Mini. Its just me here, so I don't need too much, but I have always had 3-4 pc's just for playing around and doing different things.

I can agree with your sales person... I got Mac, and I will never go back. :apple:

20. blumoon macrumors member

Awesome! Thanks for the info. I am new to mac (one week +) and I'm learning something new everyday thanks to this forum. There is a wealth of knowledge here for sure.
    Now if only I could figure out how to post a pic. :confused:

21. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Congrats! The iMac is an awesome machine, and it fits perfectly on your desk. Very nice setup.

Wiggle the mighty mouse around and pick it up a few inches. You might see a surprise.

22. discomandavis macrumors member

I worked for a video editing company that purchased my first mac for me. Macbook pro 17" that was about 4 months ago. man i have never been happy. since then i have been trying to convince my whole family to switch. they are just about to crack. whats helping me is the bad experiences they have been having with these two toshibas that have been freezing up then overheating and shutting off

23. hologram macrumors 6502

Congratulations! You sound like an intelligent, responsible young adult.

Best of luck with your Mac experience:D

24. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

Open "Automator" (inside the applications folder) and play around with it.
    You can very quickly create some pretty amazing automated functions and attach them to folders or to the right-click menus.

For example, a custom "workflow" can be attached to a folder as a "folder action".
    Any file dropped in that folder will run the workflow.
    For example, a hundred photos dropped in the folder could be backed up to an external drive, resized to take up less disk space, renamed, and tagged with custom Spotlight comments. The comments could then be used to create a custom Smart folder in the Finder sidebar that displays all files tagged with those comments.

This is just the tip of the iceberg.
    Have fun discovering the many things only a Mac can do for you.

25. airjuggernaut thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wow Automater is amazing :|