My new iPad had a dead pixel

Discussion in 'iPad' started by RevolvingSheep, Apr 3, 2012.

1. RevolvingSheep macrumors regular

2. bawbac macrumors 65816

bawbac

Lower the bar and accept mediocrity.
    Apple thanks you. :cool:

3. matbook101 macrumors 6502

matbook101

What? The baby?

4. RevolvingSheep thread starter macrumors regular

It's only mediocre if it reduces the quality of the experience. Know how I found out about the pixel? I used solid colored backgrounds. I did this yesterday and I bought my iPad on day one. I never noticed it in normal use, so why should I return it?

5. Los macrumors regular

Mine has three. One that shows up in bright areas, and the other two show up in darker areas. Unfortunately one is a green dead pixel and it's really obvious when you're watching movies or reading in the dark.

However, I shall wait to return. I had nothing but bad iPads for returns.

6. donster28 macrumors 65816

Sorry but what's the point of this thread? Is it to convince people that a dead pixel is OK?

It's not to me, and it just pains me to know that there are still people willing to live with them. Yes, I know you are after overall enjoyment OP, but man, the screen is the one thing you're looking at 98% of the time.

Oh well, to each his own I guess.

7. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

8. MR1324 macrumors 6502

i think dead pixels are a more valid reason to return as opposed to something like "yellow screen" where it is entirely subjective.

9. terraphantm macrumors 68040

My dad's has one green pixel that I noticed as soon as I turned it on. He can't see it though so we're leaving it alone. My own iPad (which I just bought yesterday) thankfully doesn't have any dead or stuck pixels

10. BFW122083 macrumors 6502

One Dead Pixel

I was just about to make a thread about this. I too have one dead pixel. I was browsing the forums last night and saw the thread with the pixel test and did it. Low and behold I have one. Never noticed it before, no tint problems either. Can't decide if I should exchange it or not....

11. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Awesome thread. Everyone goes looking for a problem, glad you arent bagging Apple for it. The pixels are so small now that it would be difficult to see them during NORMAL use.

12. zigzagg321 macrumors 6502

If you have to do something with the iPad that you would never otherwise do... then why return it if you'll never ever notice the issue again unless you go and do that one thing you never need to do ever again just to see if there are dead pixels or not?

If the dead pixels effect the normal activities, then yes, get it replaced, otherwise... why bother if everything else is good?

And sorry, "I paid blahbety blah for the iPad, thats why" is not a good enough reason.

13. BFW122083 macrumors 6502

I just found 3 more dead pixels and a string of dust. Blah. It's all on the bottom left corner. I'm taking it back. I can deal with one, but now it's too noticeable.

14. interfreak macrumors regular

interfreak

Dead pixels are ALWAYS black.

If you have a 'Stuck' pixel, it will remain one colour (green, blue or red). Sometimes you can fix these by gently massaging that area of the screen, or by running a stuck pixel fixer which you can find on the web.

15. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

If a yellow screen is subjective then so is the validity of returning one with a yellow screen.

16. iKIKO macrumors regular

iKIKO

damm ! i want an ipad 3 but all i hear is complains about it :mad:

17. MR1324 macrumors 6502

yes, that's what i said.

18. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It's a forum, what do you expect? This is where people go to complain.

Get one, try it out and see if you like it. If it does, great. If not, return it.

19. Snesley Wipes macrumors regular

20. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I have one on mine out near the edge. I can't even find it anymore, so it either fixed itself or I just don't remember where it is. Not worth returning in my situation. I too have had lots of problems with Apple refurbs. I'd rather just keep the one I have and not get into the return cycle.

21. Mikekan macrumors regular

I also kept the ipad2 with one huge :D dead pixel in the middle of the screen. Ipad3 is perfect.

22. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I tried to live with my stuck red pixels and it drove me mad. Was easy to return it so I am happy.

23. P0stalTek macrumors 6502

P0stalTek

I would probably live with it if I could not notice it but there is absolutely nothing wrong with returning a unit for a dead or stuck pixel.

It IS a manufacturers defect and no one should HAVE to keep it if it bothers them. After all, when you buy any item, you have the right to getting a pristine one.

Would you buy a brand new car with a small spider crack in the windshield and just "live with it"?

24. bawbac macrumors 65816

bawbac

When using an app on the iPad, you're looking at the screen 100%.

A dead pixel to the screen is like a bad key on a keyboard (assuming you have no on screen keyboard or voice dictation).
    Let's say all keys work flawlessly except the Return/Enter key.
    Every time you press that key, it takes more force than other keys to be executed.
    After a while, it seems it requires more & more force/pressure to be executed(pixel is becoming more noticeable because you know where it's located & is clearly visible in various apps).

After a while, you can't ignore the defect.

----------

As long as the Apple logo is prestine, yes, some would not return their new car for such a small defect. ;)

25. P0stalTek macrumors 6502

P0stalTek

Sad but true lol. If anything, being a premium apple product, even apple would want you to return it if it affects your enjoyment of the product.

Their build quality is the whole reason I jumped to apple products initially.