My New iPhone feels... different?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by donaldj, May 1, 2009.

1. donaldj macrumors 6502

donaldj

I know it's all in my head, but I'm wondering if its happened to someone else.

My old iPhone was broken, so i popped into my reseller, and got it replaced. This new one is a tiny bit different. Of course is the exact same model and such, but the following things feel different:

1. It just feels softer.
    2. The vibrations aren't as vibratey.
    3. The sound on/off switch is clickier... This may be because my old one was just broken in.

Anyone else have the same feelings?

2. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

I had the same feelings too with my replacements.

3. jalpert macrumors 6502

I think every phone that I've ever held is a little different. Sometimes the big button is hard, sometimes soft. Sometimes the silence switch is hard, sometimes it has play. Sometimes the screen is yellow, sometimes it is not. Sometimes the power button is clicky, sometimes it is spungy. Yet, somehow, Apple thinks these are all in spec :)

4. donaldj thread starter macrumors 6502

donaldj

Also, it definitely vibrates at a lower frequency.

5. jarjarblinks macrumors 6502

jarjarblinks

I think it may be lighter or heavier depending on whether you put the same amount of songs as you did the old one. :D

6. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Definitely because you haven't "broken it in" yet. Both my iPhone replacements felt the same way.

7. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

There are almost always some subtle differences between iPhones. I want to steal my friend's iPhone 3G because the buttons require hardly any force to engage. Also it seems his vibrate is insanely strong. (Yeah, that's what she said.)

8. donaldj thread starter macrumors 6502

donaldj

Ok, good to know I'm not feeling weird things! (Thats... not? What she said? not sure about that one :p)

9. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

Mine did, not it feels the same. Give it a few days

10. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

It's in your head ( there will always be slight differences in any manufacturing process)

11. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

So if there's ALWAYS differences in manufacturing processes, wouldn't that mean it's NOT in his head?

Logic.

12. iNikon macrumors member

Interesting that getting the iPhone replaced is the norm. So much for Apple quality.:rolleyes:

13. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

That's because people are a littlt bit more anal, when it comes to Apple products, and want them to be 110% perfect.
    I've had a dead pixel in one of my corners, since September, but it was never enough for me to seek a replacement.

14. donaldj thread starter macrumors 6502

donaldj

See, my WiFi chip was broken. AND There was SO much dust behind the screen, so I felt justified in getting a new iPhone.

15. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

Yup, I experienced changes like those when I switched from my 1st generation iPhone to the 3G.

I felt that the motion sensor was more "sensitive", the vibrations were stronger, and the speaker was able to reach louder volumes without distorting.

16. andyhargreaves macrumors regular

Also, I have never had a phone on any contract (Nokia, Motorola, HTC etc) which has not been replaced at least once during the 12/18 month period. So far my 3G iPhone is the longest lasting - got it on launch day, still going strong.

Hopefully didn't speak too soon!

17. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Yea, I was just thinking that! :D

18. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Apple's quality is way better than other companies' though, IMO. Its just that because many of us members on here are enthusiasts we expect a perfect product.

19. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

yes but those small differences are really minimal
    the exaggerated differences he is noticing are in his head

Don't forget also that he is comparing his old USED phone to a NEW phone ( there is bound to be differences right there)

I don't know how best to explain this

Let's put it this way

Say the motor in his vibrator use to vibrate for 2 seconds at 900 rpm

Now the new motor vibrates at 2 seconds but now only at 898 rpm

Now normally if a new user picked up the 1st phone and then the new one they wouldn't notice a difference

but because the OP has had his old iPhone for several months, he is noticing, HELL his brain is actively looking for the smallest differences from his previous phone

If he is able to pick up somehow that the new motor now spins a lot slower, his brain is going to interpret this as " well my old phone use to vibrate a lot louder"

Does this make sense ?

Basically whenever there is change ( especially from a long lasting constant) our bodies don't just accept change, they actually start looking for changes and exaggerating them.

Just give it a few days and everything should work out

err i mean rabble rabble rabble

20. Bowlerguy10 macrumors 6502

You had me going right there............

21. jeremykyle macrumors regular

Mine was the same way at first. Felt snappier, a bit different. But that was just because it was new. It will feel like just the same after a while. However, my silent switch on my new one is still "stiffer" than it was on my old one. That's the only change that I notice anymore though. I'm sure it will disappear with use as well.

22. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

oops i meant 898 rpm

23. bob616 macrumors 6502

I know what you mean i went to the apple store yesterday and got the screen of my iphone replaced because there was dust under the screen (i never knew they could do that on the spot)
    The new screen that they put in my iphone looks different. I don't really know how to describe it.

24. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

I just got my phone replaced last week and my new phone feels different, and for the better.

My home button is clicky and very responsive, not mushy and hard to press like my last one. Also the phone is a bit smaller, which is not something I felt. But when I put my new phone in my Incase Slider, it fits a lot looser than my previous phone.

There are differences in this device from one unit to another, or depending on when and where they were made. They aren't huge differences, but subtle and not in your head.

25. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

yeah my replacement definitely vibrates at a lower frequency (aka u can't hear it as much) compared to the one i actually bought out of the box.