Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

enzo thecat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2010
Midwest USA
On iTunes, at the syncing menu, I renamed my new iphone 6 Plus by my name "Enzo's iPhone". I have done this with every other (6 or so) iPhones I've owned.

All othe riPhones have been recognized as "Enzo's iPhone" by my bluetooth deveices (Caar, etc) And the DEVICES LIST in my ITUNES ACCOUNT

This is the same for all of my families ipads we have on the account (in all 9 devices)

Now with this iPhone 6 Plus, it just labeled as "iPhone" everywhere, EVEN IN MY ITUNES ACCOUNT under DEVICES.

To me, it sounds like the device is not recognizing the name I've assigned to it at the iTunes syncing menu. This has never happened before.

Does anyone know how I can solve this issue?

Thanks,

e

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
What you are talking about is an iOS 8 issue that is not limited to the iPhone 6. My iPhone 5 is listed as iPhone by the bluetooth of the iPad Air and conversely, the iPhone 5 bluetooth shows iPad for the iPad Air.

I don't know how it can be customized. It doesn't bother me so I haven't focused on it.

Last edited:

macenied

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2014
Happened to me as well when I updated my iPad 4 to iOS 8.0. Just right-click ( Windows ) in iTunes on the name and correct it.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Happened to me as well when I updated my iPad 4 to iOS 8.0. Just right-click ( Windows ) in iTunes on the name and correct it.
They are already customized in iTunes. What he is talking about, is the respective devices showing the plain name of the device, when clicking on Bluetooth under settings to see what other bluetooth devices are connected.

enzo thecat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2010
Midwest USA
What you are talking about is an iOS 8 issue that is not limited to the iPhone 6. My iPhone 5 is listed the as iPhone by the bluetooth of the iPad Air, and conversely, the iPhone 5 bluetooth shows iPad for the iPad Air.

I don't know how it can be customized. It doesn't bother me so I haven't focused on it.

THANK YOU. So another damn bug. Did Apple replace all of their programmers with 12 year olds?

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
THANK YOU. So another damn bug. Did Apple replace all of their programmers with 12 year olds?

I don't know if it is a bug as the customization is done through and only seen by iTunes. What we have been discussing, is the generic label recognized by the respective bluetooth devices. The bluetooth devices have been coded from the factory with the generic labels. Unless you have software to change it, I don't think you will be able to do what you would like.

I can see how this might be an issue in a large house with several of the same type devices.

TheBuffather

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2009
Orlando, FL
In my testing, it says iPhone unless there are two or more iPhones available to connect. Then, it uses the custom name. I haven't checked since the betas, but that's what the betas were doing. Not sure if it a bug or by design.

enzo thecat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2010
Midwest USA
Let me reiterate this important point:

If I go into my itunes account and click on the list of DEVICES, my new "enzo's iphone" is just listed as "iphone". All the other devices have the custom names I've assigned to them (Enzo's iphone 5s, Enzo's Ipad, Enzo's Wife's Ipad, Enzo Jr's iPad, etc, etc)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.