Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheStew

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
Ok, so yesterday I bought these earphones because the standards that it came with were broke after 4 years of heavy use. I didn't know (but thought so) if the remote was compatible with my ipod. Now it seems that my 5G ipod (the one with the camera in the back) is compatible with it. Yet mine is only able to skip songs, play & pauze using the middle button. When I try the volume controls, I see the volume bar on my ipod but it doesnt change, when I try again it doesnt react anymore (no volume bar, standard screen), nor does the middle button work.

Short: middle button works, when I use a volume button nothing works anymore..

I guess I got a bad set? I tried blowing out dust out of my ipod but it didn't have any effect.

samywamy10

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Ok, so yesterday I bought these earphones because the standards that it came with were broke after 4 years of heavy use. I didn't know (but thought so) if the remote was compatible with my ipod. Now it seems that my 5G ipod (the one with the camera in the back) is compatible with it. Yet mine is only able to skip songs, play & pauze using the middle button. When I try the volume controls, I see the volume bar on my ipod but it doesnt change, when I try again it doesnt react anymore (no volume bar, standard screen), nor does the middle button work.

Short: middle button works, when I use a volume button nothing works anymore..

I guess I got a bad set? I tried blowing out dust out of my ipod but it didn't have any effect.

Just take them to the Apple store. They'll trade them over, no questions asked.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
All the buttons & mic should work perfectly on the 5G nano.
My Apple In-Ears have the same remote and work perfectly with mine.

Take it to the Apple store- they should be able to swap it out no problemo.

TheStew

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
Ok thanks guys, wasn't really sure if they should work on 5G or not. Kinda weird that it responds after the first click, but not after the second. I'm returning them tomorrow.

TheStew

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2011
Ok, I recieved new earphones.. Guess what.. Same problem! Seems like my ipod itself is the problem here. Any advice besides blowing out dust? I'm not letting my ipod be 'repaired' for this volume adjustment fuction I didn't have before...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.