My new iPod touch 2G keeps crashing

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by wonderneo, Nov 15, 2008.

1. wonderneo macrumors newbie

Just bought the new iPod touch 2G 32GB two weeks ago and has been working fine until I last uploaded more songs (from ~1400 to now ~2400). Then problems occur:
    - music player keeps crashing almost everytime when I start to browse through playlist, cover-flow, song list, artist list, ...
    - even though I manage to browse the cover-flow for a few seconds when playing the music, the song starts to sound chopping (like playing very bad CD) before it goes blackout (crashes again)
    - the crashing also appears when I try to display photos using Discover without playing the music (you may argue that it is due to s/w bug but.... see later)
    - the music player crashes a few times when I am not even doing anything else on my iPod but just having the screen on
    - the only way to keep the music playing without crashing is to keep it sleep when playing the music and never spend too much time on browsing (<10 sec roughly).

All those problems seem to me that the iPod cannot handle too much data in the memory, like some of the smartphones that doesn't have enough memory to run the problem. Is it the problem with o/s, s/w, memory, or whatever?

I am really annoyed by this as I thought it was such a fantastic device when I first bought it. I might try to restore it and have to load all the songs manually again (quite painful!!) and hopefully the problem will be gone (?!)

Btw, I have had two iPods before - 1G, 5G and now iPod touch 2G. So I do have faith on this product until now I am questioning about myself :confused:

2. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

3. semin28 macrumors regular

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Umm no. Probably an error on your end. try restoring.

5. ekim macrumors newbie

iPod Touch keep crushing - Solution

I had the same problem for the past 5 weeks until I called Apple Tech. Support. I restarted applicaion each time the Touch crushed which occured quite often - more than 20 times a day.

The solution that has been working witout any crush so far for the last 8 hours is - setting / general / reset / reset network reset / enter password.
    Good luck to to you and enjoy your Touch.

PS - Before, I could not complete the above entries without crushing.

6. microman101 macrumors newbie

ipod touch 2g problems, ITS FROZEN!!!!

I also have problems with my ipod touch. I just dowloaded a few more songs then was watching a video on youtube but the vids were not loading so i turned it of but when i turned it back on alll my apps seemed to be missing so i powered of and it came to the sceern where you slide the red thing to turn it of but the touch screen and the home button where not working!!:mad: so i pluged it in to my computer to see if syncing it would do any thing and it says on itunes that its syncing but nothing happens!!! its frozen!!!!!!! :mad:plz help:mad:

7. IpodTouch2GFan macrumors newbie

IpodTouch2GFan

For Microman101

Try Shutting it down completely by holding the hold, and home button at the same time for about 5-10 sec. Then it will show the spiral loading sign, then it will turn off then hold the hold switch and turn it on, this will restart it and hopefully all your problems will be solved.

8. wonderneo thread starter macrumors newbie

It works now!!!

Thanks ekim. I am amazed it really works :D I just followed your instruction then it restarted itself successfully. Then I tried browsing through different menus while playing the songs. It has not crashed so far (though I have just played it for a few songs but I can already tell the difference). 

Just one minor problem now. I can no longer use Discover. Will try to reinstall later and see.

I think Apple should make some technical notes on this problem and inform users about the solution!!!!:apple:

9. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I had a similar problem with the new iPod Touch and Nike+. After using it for a few weeks the iPod would just crash when starting Nike+ while playing music. If I only played music it worked fine, if I only used Nike+ it worked fine. If I used both it crashed. I found that doing a hard reset every couple of weeks to clear everything out took care of the problem. I think there is a memory leak in the 2.1.1 software.

By hard reset I mean hold the sleep button and home button until the :apple: logo appears.

10. Winter Charm macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

I know this thread is kina old, but at least im using the search function ;)

Anyways, i tried the first solution, and it didnt work. the little network reset did nothing to help me :(

ANd just 5 seconds ago, i tried the hard reset, it did not work either!

someone, please help me! should i do a full reset (it will take forever and be a pain)

HELLPP!!! Im panicking, the first time this happened to me a few months ago i was able to do a hard reset and it fixed it. it seems that the problem has gotten worse! :mad:

This is outragoues - its getting worse, and yet so far apple has done nothing to fix this. :(

if 3.0 doesnt fix this, i am selling my iPod! :mad:

11. yaesumofo macrumors newbie

Under general settings there is a reset menu. I would reset EVERYTHING. start from scratch. Then rebuild your applications and music library's.
    If the issue continues it might be an indication of faulty memory. Normally when you do a complete reset the system it scans the memory modules and remaps bad sectors (yes solid state memory can have bad sectors and does wear out). If your touch has seen a lot of use it is possible to have issues related to memory sector degreditation.

http://electronicdesign.com/Articles/ArticleID/12120/12120.html

good luck.
    yaesumofo

12. Wishsong macrumors regular

If the OS 3.0 doesn't fix these problems, should I just wait for the touch 3g?