My new iPod Touch fell and broke..... WTF?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Joeytpg, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Joeytpg macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

Guys, I bough a new 16gb ipod touch a couple of weeks ago, and today at the gym while doing bench press is slid out of my pocket and broke. I'm a bit mad because the quality of this ipod is a POS, I had a Speck Armor case and the fall was from 2 FEET !! and the floor had a thick rubber protection for when the weights fall in the floor.

So I mean, this ipod should be sturdier man! MY friend's iPhone fell from his hands (5 feets fall!) to a cement floor and the iphone is still working like a champ, other than a few dents, oh and by the way, it had NO case.

Since the ipod T. is only a few weeks old (2 weeks at max.) I can get a new one without paying a dime right?

I'm in Spain and I got this ipod from u.S. amazon, what's the procedure here? where should I send the ipod, who should I write to? etc etc? I've never asked for an apple replacement product ever.

What should I do?

here are some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. wgr73 macrumors 6502a

wgr73

What was dropped on it...tell us the truth? :rolleyes::D Apple wont do anything for that!

3. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

there is no way that damage happened from 2 feet, especially if you had a proper case. you've stepped on that or something

Your carpets need cleaning too.

4. maestrocasa macrumors regular

OUCH! Man that sucks!

what's with the scratches on the face? and what caused that big crease on the back side?

I don't know if you'll be able to talk amazon or apple in to taking it back, unless you can convince them that the damage is a 'manufacturing defect'

good luck!

5. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

Not that I am doubting you, but the story and the picture are not concordant.

Edit: ok maybe I am doubting....

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

If you dropped it, why would Apple replace it?

As for the damage, it all depends on the angle of the fall. Take the Palm Pilot. I launched one of those getting out of my car by accident. It flew a good 25 feet. It landed flat and other than scuff marks from the concrete, it worked fine. My friend on the other hand, had a newer model, set it on the bathtub rim and it fell off into the bath tub on it's edge. Totally destroyed the screen.

So just because it dropped 2 feet, there are more variables than just the drop. The speed, angle, surface material, etc. all play a role in the outcome.

BTW, gut feeling tells me that this was dropped more than 2 feet or something else happened.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I agree, no way that happened from a 2 foot drop.

8. agbot macrumors regular

Looks more like you crushed it in your pocket and bent it under the weight of your bench press, then it fell out. I can't imagine it bending like that from a 2 foot fall. I'm sure if your friend first tried to bend his iPhone in half before his 5 foot fall it wouldn't have faired as well either. :)

9. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

Apple won't replace it. Sorry :(

And that did not fall 2 feet onto a rubber floor...:rolleyes:

10. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

It looks older than 2 weeks as well imo. Small scratches on the back and you use a case? You need to look after your stuff more

11. WordLife565 macrumors regular

no way in hell. Those pictures suggest that the weights actually fell on the iPod.

12. wgr73 macrumors 6502a

wgr73

Yeah, no way. It looks like a barbell fell on it!

rdowns, your avatar is AMAZING:eek::eek: :D

13. Joeytpg thread starter macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

well dudes, I have no need to lie.... I had two 75lbs dumbells on me when it fell, I pick the ipod from the floor 20 sec. after it fell, now that you guys say that it looks like some weight was put to it, I'm getting even madder because MAYBE someone ****ing stepped on the thing while I finished my set. There were very few people on the gym, that's why I didn't stop right away and picked it up.

Jesus man.....this means I have NO option? apple won't do **** for this?

I'm an honest man.....the ipod has TWO weeks, there are no scratches, the pic came out weird, maybe it was the dust, or the fall/stepping (I get madder the more I think about it!)
    :mad:

14. wgr73 macrumors 6502a

wgr73

You have no option! Unless you can find the person who stepped on it! Either way the damage was inflicted by the user.

15. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

its too late now, but the only advice I have is to use a shuffle in the gym...

16. wgr73 macrumors 6502a

wgr73

For shizzle, thats what I do and it works great!!

17. agbot macrumors regular

Yeah, unfortunately Apple isn't going to replace it since it has clearly been crushed/bent. Maybe if it dropped and had no visible damage you'd have a case, but.... no such luck.

18. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

apple is not responsible for someone stepping on your ipod - they have no obligation to replace it.

Sorry. can you claim on household insurance?

19. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

It looks like someone stepped on it. No doubt.
    I can see how that would happen. iPod on touch floor around really heavy people equals disaster.
    But hey, look on the bright side.. It broke JUST in time for the NEW iPod touch coming out on the ninth. Save your pennies. :D

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

dropping 2 feet does not bend metal. :rolleyes:

21. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Agree. The Shuffle is perfect for working out at the gym.

That's a good point. Some insurance companies will pay for damage like this depending on your policy.

22. w0ngbr4d macrumors regular

One of my friends wonders why I won't lift with an iPod touch or iPhone...I think i'll send him this thread.

I don't even think stepping on it could cause that damage. Plus if it fell out of your pocket it would have fallen next to the bench, not far enough away for someone to step on it without you noticing them.

I think it fell out of the pocket and then the dumbbell landed on it after the set.

Pick up a refurb nano or shuffle to work out with...much cheaper to replace.

23. Joeytpg thread starter macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

Jesus.... this sucks. Thanks a lot anyways guys.

I guess I'll have to buy a new one.

I had a 2gen nano that got stolen like a months ago (that's why I got the touch) thank good the company I work for payed for the touch since the nano got stole while doing a jog for the company. I though I had won the lottery, but....I'm ****ed.

thanks anyways guys :(

24. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

does your company have an insurance policy for things like this?

25. Joeytpg thread starter macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

yup, but this time won't work. Because last time I was doing a company Job while it got stolen, now I was at the gym.