My new Logitech G5 mouse very jittery on macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bluesTank, Dec 1, 2008.

1. bluesTank macrumors regular

Hey everyone,

I just got the logitech G5 mouse, after hearing so much praise about it (including on macs)

I plugged it in and immediately noticed it was awful. It has horrid jittery movements when you try and move it slowly, and whenever you just make short movements in general.

I plugged it into my wife's PC and it works perfectly.

Does anyone know why it is doing this, and how to fix it? Otherwise I am returning it.

-Thanks

2. pyr0sphere macrumors regular

3. powpow macrumors member

Like the above poster said, download the Logitech Control Center from the Logitech site and change the tracking speed. It will be fine.

4. bluesTank thread starter macrumors regular

I downloaded the control center and it didn't detect my device when I started it.

Did I download the wrong thing?

5. powpow macrumors member

Well, it should detect your device.

The other thing you can do is: System Preferences>Keyboard and Mouse>Mouse>Tracking Speed.

That should solve your problem without the Logitech software.

6. bluesTank thread starter macrumors regular

neither high nor low tracking speeds solves the problem. It is jittery either way.

The cursor jumps from one spot to another as I am moving it across the screen. It also only happens when moving the mouse diagonally.

7. powpow macrumors member

8. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

9. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

My MBP is doing the same thing with my Mighty Mouse.

10. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

The G5 is not made to be used on a Mac. I have the same problem, the control center doesn't detect it because it's a Windows mouse. If you go to logitech.com, you can see that under G5, it says it's only compatible with Windows.

11. bluesTank thread starter macrumors regular

Yes but does that mean it should be horrid when used with a mac? I just figured I wouldn't be able to use the extra buttons. I wanted a smooth with sensitivity adjustments, and this turns out to be the opposite.

12. bluesTank thread starter macrumors regular

Is this just a general Mac OSX problem? Because someone else mentioned that it happens with their might mouse.

Also, I have heard many people talk about how the G5 works fine on macs, so maybe by that they just mean it works as well as other mice. This is my first mac, and the first time to ever use a mouse on one.

13. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

What Mac are you on? Maybe it's only the new ones? When I'm in Windows, it was works perfectly.

14. bluesTank thread starter macrumors regular

I am on an aluminum macbook running OSX 5.5

And like I said originally, it works perfectly on my wife's PC

15. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Yeah it works perfectly on Bootcamp, but not in Mac OS X. And Logitech Control Center or whatever it's called, recognizes it in bootcamp Windows, but not in Mac.

Its unfortunate because it's such a sick mouse.

16. crazyxzer0 macrumors 6502

there is a paid program called steermouse that actually helps. I am in the same boat running a logitech G7 which unsupported by mac. The G7 ran perfect in Bootcamp with vista. Using steermouse, the mouse is no longer skipping and the buttons are customizable. you can try it free first.

http://plentycom.jp/en/steermouse/

17. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I wonder what causes a mouse to be "incompatible" with OSX ....

18. SoupyFlow macrumors member

I was about to pick up a G5 for my new Aluminum MacBook here in a few days. I think I'll hold off now hehe.

19. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

It's not that the mouse is incompatible with OSX but that OSX and Windows use two completely different mouse acceleration curves. Windows accelerates the mouse sooner on movement and is why it feels faster compared to OSX. OSX waits longer to accelerate so that you get more precision on small movements and detail work on Photoshop, etc.

If you're used to one or the other, when you switch OS it feels like the mouse is broken :)

20. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

That would cause crazy jitteriness? :confused:

21. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

Yeah I had the same "experience" when I plugged in my wired Microsoft Sidewinder mouse. Since you have to move the mouse much farther to move it the same distance, and your hand is used to just flicking it a bit under Windows to move it the same amount, you end up unintentionally making like 3-4 seperate movements to get to the same place and end up "jittering" your mouse as it keeps accelerating and decelerating.