my new mac experience

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ashjamben, Dec 9, 2007.

1. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

purchased my first mac today, a white 2.2Ghz macbook :)

i've only just been able to tinker with it a little, i really need to learn how to properly use it because this is my first ever mac.

just a few little questions:

quite a few people mention problems with their macbooks, like unresponsive keyboards and a buzzing noise. well my keyboards not broke yet, but occasionally i do hear the buzzing. if it becomes more persistant or louder i won't hesitate to take it back to the store, or give applecare a ring, so it shouldn't really be a problems

and lastly, where's boot camp? i was planning on getting to grips with leopard for a few weeks and then installing windows on it to make it more versatile. but i can't find it, any help?

thanks alot, ash

2. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

3. ashjamben thread starter macrumors 6502a

hey, thanks for the quick reply.

i've just installed bootcamp off the disk and was gonna reply to say i've done it now, i'd managed to find a thread that showed me how to do it

thanks anyway :)

4. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

I've said this a lot but I really think David Pogue's Switching to the Mac will help you feel more comfortable. You never will if the first thing you do is install Windows. Save that for games or programs that have no Mac equivalent. Best wishes.

5. killerwhack macrumors regular

killerwhack

boot camp vs parallels

I guess people want to be able to play games, so they use boot camp but I think most people underestimate the benefit of Parallels or Fusion. It is truly an amazing capability. One can have their windows application be just another window within leopard. That is hot!

6. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

Not to be negative or anything, but the very idea of sullying a beautiful virgin Macbook by installing Windows on it makes be sick to my stomach. You bought a Mac for a reason, and I (for one) hope that reason was not just to run XP on it. Resist the Dark Side, DO NOT install Boot Camp, or Parallels, or XP, or anything except pure Apple software and see how much happier you are in a week. Try Pages, Keynote, Numbers, Mail, Safari, and iPhoto -- and soon you too will understand. :apple:

7. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Maybe he needs window for a certain application? and what's with this dark side crap, It's just different.

8. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

Yep. First find out if there's a Mac equivalent for something you want to do with your computer, and only if you can't find it (like in case of AutoCAD or such) then install Windows as a necessary evil.

There are lots of great apps out there, commercial and shareware.

9. ashjamben thread starter macrumors 6502a

i'm a music technologist, so the obvious switch to mac was for logic, but i still would like cubase. so for that reason i want xp on my machine at some point.

thanks for the mac os x guide, i'll take a look tonight :)

10. timhoke macrumors newbie

Also a newbie

With so many of my friends using Macs and being downright evangelistic about their product, I decided to give 'er a try. So, I bought a used Ibook for $400 and have been "experimenting." There are a few programs I love that won't work on Mac, but for the most part, I've found Mac equivalents to my Windows based programs that I like as well or better.

My advice is to wait before installing Windows on the Mac machine. If that's where you're headed, what's the point? Mac is significantly different and I think it is best to let it show you what it can do. I've been at it for about a month and am getting acclimated pretty well. For my pat the only reason to install Windows is to run "must have" Windows programs that can't be replaced by mac ones.

11. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Thank you. We need to move past this fanboyish sillyness. It's just an operating system, folks. Let's leave the Star Wars metaphors to George Lucas.

12. SheriffParker macrumors 6502a

SheriffParker

Enjoy your mac! I hope it works better than you ever imagined a computer could.

13. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

Speaking of virgins ...

14. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

....I'd like to sully one right now!

15. FanOfMac macrumors newbie

I kind of like "dark side"! It really made me laugh!

16. Hmac macrumors 68020

Oh please...sick to your stomach? Maybe you have a little too much emotion invested in a productivity tool?

17. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

Okay everyone, sometimes people make exaggerated statements to draw attention to a point. This was one of those times. It's called "hyperbole" and it's actually very common in all different types of communication. No I was not really sick to my stomach when I read the O.P. In truth, I don't care what anybody runs on their computers. You can install Linux on it for all I care. My point -- which I thought I made quite effectively -- was simply that Switchers need to try original Macintosh software for a while before reverting back to their old PC programs via Bootcamp. And for those (few) who appreciated my Dark Side reference, I thought that was pretty darn funny too. :D

18. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

My Nintendo Wii is like ewoks!

19. aiterum macrumors 6502

aiterum

Sorry it came out more like something you'd hear from that terrible apple fanboy everyone hates

20. RaceJunkie macrumors regular

I agree with the Parallels s/w it's amazing. I used it a few times to move data over from windows to Mac and the simplicity of being able to drag a file from one OS to another is just plain genius.

I agree with the happier part, I have been using my Mac now for about two weeks and I am to the point, where I don't need to turn on my PC for anything now. I did install Parallels though to move over some data. I have done exactly what you suggested the past two weeks, and have found just about every piece of s/w that meets the equivalent to what I had on my PC. It does take some digging though to find some of the s/w but for the most part it's out there.

21. Hmac macrumors 68020

Your point got lost in all the hyperbole.

22. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

Nub Nub!

23. ashjamben thread starter macrumors 6502a

hey, i didn't realise people were still posting on this thread. seen as you guys are...

has anyone checked out q emulator?

http://www.kju-app.org/kju/

ive messed around with it abit and been using linux on it. i doubt it's as sophisticated as parallels or other commercial products, but its free and works fine. i havn't tried windows on it yet, but will probably have a good once i get hold of a copy of xp.

24. DLS macrumors newbie

Also a new MB owner, and Windoze switcher.

I'm also a new MB owner (the $1299 version). My Dell notebook was starting to fail, and I was tired of the WinTell industrial complex, and I have a friend who is a mac-guy from way back, so, I took the plunge and switched.

No regrets. I still use Windoze at work, get paid to use it, but after one whole week I can't think of a reason to go back to Winders (and I've been using it since it was honestly called MS-DOS). One thing I've learned so far is that when I get stuck, I often realize that I've just been trying too hard. Apple knows its market is not engineers (which I am), but people who want to use a computer to get things done. After years of slogging through DOS/Winders (have to admit that learning to use extended/expanded memory manager was a bit of an ego stroke) I'm ready to switch to an OS was is meant to be used, not kludged.