my new mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macdame, Mar 10, 2009.

1. macdame macrumors newbie

well after the past 10 years of owening pcs, i now own a mac. however, i didnt want to shovel out alot of money for not and end up not liking it. i found a powerbook g4 on ebay and bought it for $425. did i make a semi-smart choice? it has a 1.5 gig processor, 80gig harddrive, and 1gig of ram. does anybody know how much ram it can take? i do want to upgrade that. it also comes w/ leopard and ilife 09.thanks for the help!

2. belvdr macrumors 603

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Congrats! I think that is a good deal. Enjoy your new mac.:D

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I always liked the PB G4s, especially the 12-inch one. Great size.

5. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I have a 17" 1.67gHz PB that I still use almost every day. I think you'll like yours. I do recommend that you bump up the RAM, though. More memory is the key to helping those older systems hang on for as long as possible. One thing I have noticed, though, is that a lot of things I do on it seem to peg the processor more than the RAM. This is especially true while watching Hulu and YouTube. I think that has more to do with Flash being so terrible on OSX than limitations of the hardware, though.

6. macdame thread starter macrumors newbie

can i get any kind of ram? something from like staples or someplace?

7. belvdr macrumors 603

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

9. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I would give a second vote for Crucial. I don't know about yours, but my PB was very picky about which RAM it would take. I ordered some memory from Newegg using their RAM selector, and my PB refused to boot with it in there. I thought it was faulty, and they replaced it. The second stick refused to work, as well. I finally went to Crucial, and used their scanner, and it worked. The funny thing is that the RAM from Newegg had the exact same specs, and if I remember correctly, it was even Crucial brand.

Anyway, go to Crucial, run their scanner, and buy there.