My new Macbook Aluminum - Internet/Power issues!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by michaelaus, Jan 5, 2009.

1. michaelaus macrumors newbie

I recently bought a new Macbook Aluminum - the 2.0 GHz model. However since I have migrated from PC to Mac I am having trouble with my internet. It seems to be very slow when loading web pages but faster when downloading files. It is also very temperamental - at times it will be fast, but other times, completely slow.

I am connected to a Belkin Wireless network that served me well on my old HP. However now I am finding the slow internet to be a bit of a pain. I am also using Safari. I have tried a few suggestions that I have found around the forums but nothing really seems to be working. I was wondering if anyone could suggest what is wrong here?

Thank you and don't hesitate to ask for any more info, I'm not really "tech" literate.

Ps. My new macbook had no issues that have been mentioned here and personally I like the screen.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

3. michaelaus thread starter macrumors newbie

No... I just followed what that site said and added 208.67.222.222 and the other, will see what happens. Thanks.

4. michaelaus thread starter macrumors newbie

That - and using Firefox - seems to have worked, at least for the mean time. I also have another question. If my battery has done 4 cycles already (I have only worn it down once) is that correct?

Also this is my power info atm - I just unplugged to move closer to the router before to see if that made any difference.

Charge Information:
    Charge remaining (mAh): 4082
    Fully charged: No
    Charging: Yes
    Full charge capacity (mAh): 4300

I thought the capacity was supposed to be around 5000? I did buy Apple Care so I can call but what is the deal with this? Thanks

5. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

6. michaelaus thread starter macrumors newbie

It is a Belkin N1 Wireless Router.

If anyone could also help me out with the battery question asked above that would be great.

7. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

The MacBook registers a charge cycle every time you remove the power adapter and plug it back in. Say you start at 0 charge cycles and at 100% capacity, you run it down to 63% and then plug it back it, you would now have 1 charge cycle and it would start to charge the battery. I haven't checked the full capacity of the new MacBooks, although I believe that the previous MacBooks had a battery about that same capacity.

8. michaelaus thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh good, I was just a bit worried that I had a battery that fell short of the average.

And yeah, I understand how cycles work, but honestly I checked the first time because I read here that you had to charge and decharge your battery when you first got your Macbook. At that point I had 3 cycles, now I have 4.

9. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

... sorry, I don't have any experience with that router but I do know they get returned to the base NEX frequently... but I think its more user error than an issue with the item.

When I get new routers though, I usually find it easier to set all new encryption to all devices so I know they are all working properly, just a habit I've gotten into though.

10. gotzaiPhone macrumors member

some have noticed that with the aluminium body, they have had worse signal than with the plastic books. If you know how, go into your router settings through its IPaddress and make sure that the power is turned up and that its set to the maximum everything. If that solves your problem, then great. You can also slowy tune it down if you don't want it broadcasting to the neighborhood till you find that sweet spot. If it doesn't work, time for an airport extreme or time capsule.