my new macbook :) and the internet :(

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Javs, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Javs macrumors newbie

Okay so I proudly just bought my first macbook and I love it! But the only problem is is that I can't go on the internet.

Well I can but let me explain

We use clearwire on my desktop, which uses ethernet chords. If I want to get on the internet with my mac I have to take it out of the computer and plug it in to my macbook, which kind of defiles the point of getting a laptop in the firstplace.
    Is there some form of wireless router or ethernet port thingies that I can use give me a wireless connection throughout the house. I wouldn't know how to do it so if I could get some sort of explanationnNNNNNNNNNn on how to be able to do this than please explain. By chance tell me some products that will do this :) thankyou

2. amrk47 macrumors regular

the Apple wireless router is the easiest and best router you can get

you just plug the ethernet cable in to the back and ur basically ready to go

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB053LL/A?fnode=MTY1NDA0Mg&mco=MjE0NDc3Ng

3. Javs thread starter macrumors newbie

4. molala macrumors 6502a

yes, plenty. do a search for wireless routers. i used netgear and linksys brands in the past. but now i'm using a previous generation apple extreme base station (off ebay), the range is better than my other routers.

5. Javs thread starter macrumors newbie

So any router will work even though I'm using clearwire? Will my mac automatically pick up the signal or is there a peice that comes with the router that goes in a port on my macbooK?

6. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

Well first things first. You should configure your router's settings to set a WPA password and changing the network name to something else. Then plug the ethernet cord to router and unplug your modem's cord from the outlet and plug it back in so it can reboot and assign an IP address to your router..and you'll be surfing the internet :)

I'd recommend a Linksys router..It's easy to set up and use :)

7. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

The macbook has a built-in antenna for wifi you just need a router.
    It sounds like Clearwire a wireless internet provider.

Here is the link to the setup you need.
    http://www.clearwire.com/support/networking.php#wifi