My new MacBook is arriving in 5 minutes! Quick question regarding battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kknet, Jul 3, 2007.

1. kknet macrumors newbie

As the title says, it's on it's way from the post office now. So excited =)
    But just one small question, does the battery come charged, and if not, should I charge it 100 % before use? Don't think I can wait that long tough.. :p

2. dcv macrumors G3

It should come with some charge and you can use it straight out of the box. However, you really ought to 'calibrate' the battery; read this doc (second half) for details.

3. kolax macrumors G3

Let it charge up to 100% then unplug it, and use your computer on battery until the battery dies.

Then you'll be fine :)

4. kknet thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I´m typing on it now, all seems OK =) I´ll surely come back soon with some more questions, hehe. Thanks

Btw, starting to love it already <3

5. Porifera macrumors newbie

Porifera

6. kknet thread starter macrumors newbie

And another question; trying to innstall Firefox. But I seem to just be able to mount it ? Don´t you innstall programs on a Mac? Having to mount a bounch of *.dmg files all the time seems a bit frustrating =)

7. kolax macrumors G3

When you open the DMG file, you drag the FireFox application to your hard disk.

Usually you put it into the Applications folder, so all your programs are grouped together incase you want to do a backup, but it doesn't matter where you put it.

Once you copied the program over, you can eject the DMG disk and delete the downloaded file.

Same applies to every file you download.

8. chew63 macrumors member

Installing programs on a Mac is frustrating????

Only if you've never installed programs on Windows before.

9. Trepex macrumors 6502a

Trepex

"Installing" applications on Macs is the most amazing thing ever, especially after coming from Windows :)

10. kknet thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes now that I figured it out, thanks for the help, it´s wonderful =) What I ment about frustrating was if I had to mount all the .dmg files to open the program.

And maybe I´m just a bit overconserned, but how hot it is supposed to be? Like, i felt the heat after 3 minutes of use, and now it´s just hot. No fan noice. But I guess it´s normal =) Now I just need some time to get used to the shourtcuts =) How du you select all, like ctrl-a in windows? :apple: -a didn´t seem to work

11. kolax macrumors G3

:apple: + A to select all.

The MBP will get quite warm. I recommended downloading:

Temperature Monitor
    - Great piece of software. Can easily see how warm your MBP is and what it's average temperature is.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/12381

Fan Control v.1.1
    - Allows you to adjust the temperatures in which you want your fans to start to kick in. So if you think your MBP runs too hot, then adjust it so the fans come on at a lower temperature, and get a balance between temperature, noise and battery life.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23137

12. kknet thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks man ! My cpu temp is currently at 56`C, so no prob there. But in fan controll, i get Left fan: 2342 RPM, and Right fan -1 RPM. Something wrong, or is there just one fan in MB´s ?

13. kolax macrumors G3

Strange. Both my fans are showing the same speed.

14. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

Do you have a MacBook or a MacBook Pro, the MB has one fan and the MBP has 2

15. kknet thread starter macrumors newbie