Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ncstatered21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
So as some of you may know, I started a thread yesterday about Solidworks 2010 running slow on my new 2011 13" Macbook Pro (Intel i5 and 8GB ram). Now I cannot even get Windows 7 to start, I will choose the Windows 7 partition, it will go to the "Starting Windows" screen, black screen for a second, then the Windows 7 mouse with the loading symbol will appear for about a half second. The computer then shuts itself down and become difficult to start up meaning I have to press the power button a couple of times at the right time for about 5 seconds to get it to start. Any suggestions?

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
So as some of you may know, I started a thread yesterday about Solidworks 2010 running slow on my new 2011 13" Macbook Pro (Intel i5 and 8GB ram). Now I cannot even get Windows 7 to start, I will choose the Windows 7 partition, it will go to the "Starting Windows" screen, black screen for a second, then the Windows 7 mouse with the loading symbol will appear for about a half second. The computer then shuts itself down and become difficult to start up meaning I have to press the power button a couple of times at the right time for about 5 seconds to get it to start. Any suggestions?

Bring it in for warranty, that's just not normal.

ncstatered21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
Bring it in for warranty, that's just not normal.

Well just now I figured out that it will only start Windows if the power adapter is plugged in. I got home put the power adapter on and tried to start it. Surprisingly it did...when I unplugged and tried to restart it would not. I have 8GB Crucial memory installed. I'm assuming that has nothing to do with it seeing as I am positive it is identical to the memory required.

tusctodd

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2009
It might be a battery issue.

I thought I remembered reading that macbooks wouldn't load with the battery removed. While I understand you haven't physically removed the battery there may be some issue with it. Just a thought.

ncstatered21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
It might be a battery issue.

I thought I remembered reading that macbooks wouldn't load with the battery removed. While I understand you haven't physically removed the battery there may be some issue with it. Just a thought.

Would you take it into the Apple store as well? I am going home this weekend from college and that is closer to the Apple store.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
Would you take it into the Apple store as well? I am going home this weekend from college and that is closer to the Apple store.

I would. Even though batteries are considered "consumable" and technically not warranty your machine is new enough that they shouldn't have an issue with it.

I'd pull down Coconut or something and look at your battery specs before walking into the store and doing the deer in the headlights thing tho. Sucks to go in to not have them find anything.

ncstatered21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 17, 2010
I would. Even though batteries are considered "consumable" and technically not warranty your machine is new enough that they shouldn't have an issue with it.

I'd pull down Coconut or something and look at your battery specs before walking into the store and doing the deer in the headlights thing tho. Sucks to go in to not have them find anything.

Think a fresh install of Windows could help? I mean I might do that before that Apple store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.