My new Macbook Pro clinks when I press trackpad?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tadziak, Jan 4, 2011.

1. tadziak macrumors regular

Hi,
    I have a new Macbook Pro 15' (MC372). Its a very nice computer, I'm just having some annoying sound when i click with my trackpad. From time to time I can hear some kind of metallic echo (on realase), it sounds like something is a bit loose, clinky/rattling/jingling sound. A bit like in an old mouse when you can hear the spring working.

I know many people complain about trackpad being noisy etc. but this is a bit different. Except for the proper click there is this second sound, when the trackpad is going back to its position after clicking. I had it checked by Apple and they replaced the trackpad - but it didnt help. I don't hear this sound on either of demo computers, so it can't really be normal. If replacing trackpad doesnt help then my guess is - its something else. But what can it be?

The rattling/clinky sound comes rather from the right side of the keyboard area. It sounds a bit like the sound that laptop makes when im putting it on a hard surface (the keyboard then rattles a bit).

I attach an mp3 - maybe it will help. It's a bit too amplified (its not that loud or strong normally) - but try to hear the sound that comes at the very end of each click - this is what annoys me.

I would be very grateful for any tips/suggestions what can it be- or what should I tell Apple to help me :) I don't want them to think im crazy and listen to my trackpad in the shop :)

Attached Files:

2. tekmoe macrumors 68000

Mine makes a noise similar to that. I've learned to live with it. It doesn't interfere with what I am using it for anyway.

3. tadziak thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your answer.

I have a very good hearing and it drives me crazy, because it feels unreliable, It would be easier to bare if its every time exactly the same, but its quite random.

Its like some cheap toy that makes different sound whenever its moved, positioned differently. I can live with that, but why should I if it doesnt sound like that in most other macs?

Sometimes it makes this sound when its a bit tilted sometimes when standing on a perfectly even desk. Hard to predict. It mostly happen when i click the right side of trackpad.

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

You could take it to your nearest Apple Store, or you could just edit your preferences to "tap to click," so you don't even have to push down on your trackpad to make it physically click. Or both.

5. tadziak thread starter macrumors regular

As I already mentioned I took it to the service and the trackpad was replaced - still quite the same. And touch to click is a bit annoying for me - too many false clicks...

I was hoping that somebody can tell me what part can make that sound if its not trackpad itself - whet can rattle/vibrate this way on the right side of my laptop?

6. Kuitan macrumors newbie

I'm hearing the same thing.

Hi,

I bought my 15" macbook pro about 1 month ago. My father-in-law also bought his 13" macbook pro about 1 year ago. During vacation, his started making clink sounds exactly the same sound mine is making. I took it in to servicing and they replaced the trackpad. I will also go take mine to get it replaced. I've recorded the sound onto my camera. I thought it was only when I pressed the trackpad. But so far, it's been doing it when my hand or fingers move over it and even when I'm typing. I'd say get it fixed. Solution to that is don't hard press to click. My personal solution is I have a Wacom tablet USB with battery-less mouse. So I won't be using the trackpad unless deemed necessary.

Hope you get yours fixed. Cheers!

K