My new MacBook Pro Froze...scary!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joshallegro, Oct 19, 2008.

1. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

With all due respect, it was just a computer crash mate - happens!

2. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

It would help to know what audio hardware your using. Do you have an audio interface, is it a USB mic, etc.

3. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

yep, I would say the same and i wouldn't worry about it.

4. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Relax man, if that happened all the time I'd be concerned.
    So would Apple if everyone had a reaction like yours everytime a simple crash occurred. :eek:

5. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hmm.. you sound as if it's your first computer, ever!!
    If it's was a windows box and it crashed too, would it still scary?

6. fireball87 macrumors newbie

Seeing as my G5 running leopard hasn't crashed once since the 10.5.4 update I'd be a tad bothered by my brand new box crashing in the first few days too. It prolly is just a off chance software crash though, so I wouldn't worry too much.

7. g4cubed macrumors 6502a

g4cubed

So how much of the cursing was recorded. ;) I know I would have had a lot. :eek:

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

@OP: Check your console to see what the issue was.

Well said. ;)

9. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

On a Windows box, you can screw up the OS in such a way you'd have to format and reinstall everything, thus losing all your personal data in the process - now that's scary!!

At least with a Mac, the hard-drive would have to physically crash and die before you'll lose any saved data.
    and if for some reason you screw up the OS so badly, you can't reboot. You can recover easily via quick the Archive and Install option in the Leopard OS disk 1 without ever requiring a re-format. Though screwing up the actual OS is fairly difficult!!

10. Timur macrumors 6502a

Timur

Well, the Windows box with same hardware features comes at half the price and doesn't as aggressively claim to work perfectly and stable out of the box. So yes, running such a simple thing as Garageband (OS X integrated software) on this very expensive box can be scary.

11. MVApple macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't blame josh for posting this. Mac users are always talking about how superior OSX is and how it doesn't crash like windows.

12. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

true, i cant think of a time, other than a kernel panic, where the entire machine froze up and i couldn't do ANYTHING

that is kinda scary

13. joshallegro thread starter macrumors newbie

This was my 3rd mac after a G5 1.6 and a PowerBook G4. I have never experienced this type of behavior which is why I freaked out a bit. It is an expensive piece of kit and all I want is a solid machine which runs quick and is reliable as I spend my life on it making music.

After I posted this thread another order of events occurred! It crashed again with iTunes and displayed an error message and then when I rebooted the mac it was pending for a while and then just displayed a blank blue screen for ages! It did eventually reboot!

Would you not call this a little scary?!

I actually recorded all this activity on my digital camera as well as screen shots of the error messages.

I would like to display them to you all but don't know how? Is it possible to attach vids to threads in this forum?? I think if you see it you will be surprised at the macs behaviour.

Don't really want to post the vid on youtube as I don't want to have a go at Apple and put people off the new products. I think the company is an amazingly innovative company, it is just unfortunate that my new MBP was having these problems. I also took delivery of a 'Dead on Arrival' G4 desktop a few years ago - hence my slight lack of confidence in NEW technology.

I just have it in my head now that a technical product should be well established and therefore hopefully problem free by the time you purchase it.
    Would anyone agree?

Anyway, I just took the new MacBook Pro back to the Apple store today (they didn't even check the box... odd) and didn't charge a re-boxing fee which I also thought they would do.
    Mine was the first to be returned apparently.

So, I am considering either waiting a while to see the response on mac forums etc. to the New MBP (which I probably should have done right from the start) or just buying a discounted early 2008 model which I know will be a safe bet, providing I don't leave it too long and they are still for sale new!
    Which of these comments would you guys agree with?

From my impression also, the New MacBook Pro isn't exactly getting a good reception on the net!!!
    Everyone seems to be saying the old MBP is a classic and it isn't worth upgrading to the new one. No one seems too impressed really!!!

best,

Josh