My new MacBook Pro - normal fans?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bear-san, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Bear-san macrumors newbie

Greetings everyone!

I'm new to this community and to the whole Apple thing, I've decided to tryout a MacBook Pro. In case you are wondering, yes I have been searching the forum for this problem, but I don't think there was any thread that could help me. It's the 2008 model MacBook Pro with the 9600m gt 512 card.

So, I just noticed that when I have my MacBook Pro in High Performance mode it emits an high pitched noise when the fans are running around 6.2k RPM and the CPU and GPU is around 63c. The noise follows the speed of fans, and at idle the noise is gone.

I have uploaded a video of it on youtube here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HioRgTNpNRA

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Sounds normal to me. If the fans are spinning at 6000+, you're going to hear it but I'm surprised your fans come on that soon. Most have their fans rev up near 70 C+. But again, from that clip, sounds normal to me.

3. Bear-san thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, thanks for the answer - It got me really worried. :)

Sorry for asking, but you did hear the high-pitched sound right?

4. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

there is a kinda a high pitched whine. would be annoying.

5. Bear-san thread starter macrumors newbie

So it's something every MacBook Pro does or?

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Just to clarify, do you hear it only when it spins at 6000+ or even at around 4000 RPM? I could understand if it was only when it's spinning at 6000+ but if you hear it at 4000 which isn't that fast, I don't think you should hear it.

7. Bear-san thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, you can hear it - but the tone is lower... Imagine a jet plane, sounds like that. More rpm gives higher noise(whine). It starts around 4k RPM, when browsing or watching movies there's nothing.

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Ok. Then from that and the clip, I'm going to say it's normal unless someone wants to chime and say it's not because I hear my fans when playing games but wouldn't necessarily call it a "whine".

9. Jottle macrumors 6502

I have gone through two unibody macbook pros. Both make a high pitched noise that's found in your video when the fans hit 6000. It's just the nature of the fans and the sound the air makes when it's pushed through the grates. I imagine some units have a lower or higher frequency pitch. But on the two I got, they sound identical to yours at the high rpms. It's unavoidable. I would call it almost a whine. Your fans are fine however..they're just pushing extreme amounts of air=high pitched noise. If you heard noise at 2000rpm, then I'd be concerned. The faster they spin, the more hum/whine they produce.

10. Bear-san thread starter macrumors newbie

As in hear, you hear the the fans "motors", and not the air blowing right?

11. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Thanks. Yeah like I said, if you heard it at a lower RPM, I'd be concerned if not then I wouldn't worry about it.

12. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

well i don't have the new mbp but on mine,
    but even on mine at 4k and 6k its more of a whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, with no whine.

from my experience whine means no lube.
    heck if it bothers you, just go see a genius, i go to them with the most retarded questions and concerns, always helps wither good or bad news

13. Bear-san thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for answering :)

No, the noise only occurs when the computer is running intense graphic applications. I can't hear my fans at all when the fans are running at around x->3.5 RMP

14. Bear-san thread starter macrumors newbie

I wish I could go to a genius - but the problem is that I live in Denmark and we don't have that kind of luxury as far as I know hehe. :(

15. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

bust.

16. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

My fans are... odd. The CPU reaches 76 degrees, and then the fans spaz to ~6000 RPM, then die to ~2000. Why is the speed never constant?

17. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Drops down to ~2000 right away or does it slow down from ~6000 to 5500....etc?

18. Bear-san thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, you guys have convinced me that it's a normal thing...

Thank you very much for the help guys. :D