My New MacBook Pro...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SimonMoles, Apr 18, 2008.

1. SimonMoles macrumors newbie

Was great, until yesterday.

I was going fine, loving it a lot (My first Mac!). Then, yesterday, I heard a loud pop from the power supply. Turns out that in the past few hours, the power supply had been malfunctioning, not charging my MacBook, so when I switched from Windows to Leopard (Bootcamp) it just shut down!

I took the power supply to an "Apple Certified" repair centre, and they said the transformer was busted, and ordered a replacement.

So... was good while it lasted :p Now I've got to wait until next week to get it working again :(

2. nick9191 macrumors 68040

3. SimonMoles thread starter macrumors newbie

I wish I knew why it broke though... was it just manufactured badly, or was it something to do with the plug I used?

Anyone elses power supplies just stopped working?

4. a4abt macrumors regular

while you are waiting for the replacement, you could buy one from Best Buy and return it when you'll receive the new one from Apple.

5. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

That's a bit unethical. Why not just buy another one as a backup? I have three, for the road, office and bedroom.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

A computer in the bedroom is usually bad juju if you have any intentions of reproducing one day.

7. Eric. macrumors regular

Actually, its Best Buy. Perfectly ethical.

8. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

That's OK. I'll just adopt one from Africa and return it when it turns 16 :D

9. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

check the voltage on your outlet also.

i can't believe they did not just give you another brick. "we'll order one"...that suxs!!!
    my mighty mouse took a crap and i got one the very next day via fedex air. awesome service!!!

10. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

Ya i have 3 also because of all the times ive had to send my MBP back by itself so now i have all these OSX disks and powercords lol.

11. SimonMoles thread starter macrumors newbie

I have to go and pick it up when it arrives, they tried to charge me £30 for shipping! Its not an actual Apple store, only an authorised maintenance centre.

Now I've got my macbook on my desk, closed lid, no use to anyone :(

12. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

Where we are, Best Buy will charge you 15% for an open box return. A $300 rental fee for 14 days use (on a base MacbookPro) is a bit expensive don't ya think?

I guess I can now see why BB has to have such fees - which is a real nuisance to those who would like to try out a laptop before committing. Your crappy ethics DOES screw it up for the rest of us.

13. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

Best Buy has always been nice to me. Much better than Circuit City or Compusa - and you can see how well they did in the market.

MicroCenter is the best but BB is actually very good IMHO.

14. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

He's talking about just buying a power cord, not a whole machine.

15. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

always call applecare when something like that happens. lesson learned anyway...good luck with the problems.

16. dmarch macrumors regular

dmarch

I think the idea was to buy the power supply at BB, then return the new one from Apple to BB when it arrived. I don't see any ethics issue with that.

17. a4abt macrumors regular

exactly ... plus it's their policy (30 days return). Why not use it? I'm not saying to "happy-box" the power supply, just return the functional one when you receive your replacement from Apple.