My New Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Specter539, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Specter539 macrumors newbie

So I just got a new macbook pro a couple days ago. It is my first mac so im pretty excited and very pleased with my purchase. I bought it for school. Im in engineering, but it will not be used for that. Ive been running it since i turned it on, as soon as i got home from the apple store. How long should you keep your mac on after your first boot? I figured two weeks of straight use would show any problems with the hardware components. any advice?

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Congrats on the purchase.

I wouldn't worry so much. And I would get AppleCare so that you have three year coverage in case anything goes wrong hardware wise.

3. Specter539 thread starter macrumors newbie

yea. im not really too worried about it, but rather interested in putting it through its passes to make sure its top notch. i assume that it is, just because its apple anyways :). As for the 3 year warranty...I plan on getting it at the end of a year from now.

4. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

The good news is that most defects commonly found on MacBook Pros are pretty evident right out of the box. If you can't see any problems now, chances are it will serve you reliably for a long time to come. Definitely don't forget your AppleCare deadline a year from now. In the somewhat unlikely event that something does go wrong in year two or three, the extended warranty pays for itself with the first repair. (If you've ever thought Apple charges premium prices on their products, just wait until you see their parts & labor prices.)

5. Specter539 thread starter macrumors newbie

haha yea. ive seen the 900-1000 dollar logic board replacements. so far ive only found one dead pixel. its stuck black. not a big deal for now seeing as how i heard that most of them have at least one which is dead. besides that the only other thing i noticed was that when i was encoding a video the brightness of the screen keep going darker than brighter, dark than brighter repeatedly. It was a gradual change, any ideas?

6. tecknical macrumors regular

ouch sucks on the dead pixels. i just got mine and i didnt notice any dead pixels or anything. and when youre encoding are you on battery or on power?

7. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

That's probably unrelated to the movie encoding. The ambient light sensors are located under the speaker grills and can be overly sensitive. Sometimes just a shadow will make the screen dim. Go to the :apple: menu, choose System Preferences, then Displays. Uncheck the box for "Automatically adjust brightness as ambient light changes" and see if this fixes your problem.

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I had one on my display.

I gently massaged it and now I have no idea where it was exactly. Works fine now. :)

9. zorahk macrumors 6502

^ That won't work if the pixel is stuck black, that only works on

blue, green, red pixels

10. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Congrats on the purchase. :)

As for leaving it on. Meh. I'd restart it every few days. I always shut my computers down at night...I'm weird.

Agreed. Try watching TV in a dark room...the screen on the MBP goes psycho.