My new MB Pro just arrived...with DENTS!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jackapple, Sep 20, 2010.

1. jackapple macrumors member

I was ecstatic to have FedEx drop off my new MacBook Pro a few days early, but just unwrapped it to find these lovely two dents on the bottom. Just thought I'd share my special surprise with you all...

Attached Files:

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Annoying. Save the original shipping container and file a damage claim.

3. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

4. MisterFeeney macrumors 6502

Thats no good. I know how anxious you can get waiting for that FedEx guy to walk up to your door with the box and this must be brutal having to send it back and start the waiting game all over again. Best of luck! :apple:

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Same thing happened to me but dents were on the palm rests. Exchange with Apple Store was quick and painless.

6. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

That really sucks. Call up Apple and see if they'll let you do an exchange in person at your local Apple store (assuming yours isn't a CTO).

7. JDNGuru macrumors member

This is what I am afraid of. I put on a SPECK Satin case cover over the mbp now to somewhat protect it.

8. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

apple has an extensive 90 day return policy if you are unsatisfied with it in any way. I would say you are dis satisfied and i most certainly would be as well, so contact apple and they will take you through the steps.

9. starstruck macrumors newbie

10. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Actually this is nothing more than proof positive that Apple quality control is fading.

When I ordered my Mid 2010 MBP, three out of four MBP's they shipped were either dented or had scratches exceeding three inches in length.

11. Dyne macrumors member

I would say that it's proof-positive that FedEX/UPS suck. Apple Quality Control may not be like it used to be, but I sincerely doubt they have anything to do with this.

12. iBaloney macrumors 6502

iBaloney

oh my god i cant believe apple's quality control would let that slip by. i'd be pissed

13. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

Not sure where you are, but its 14 days in the States. Period.

Does the box have marks on the outside? If not, its not fedex's fault. That looks like it was dented pre-shipment.

14. drambuie macrumors 6502a

For that to have happened in shipping, there would have to be two corresponding holes in the cartons, and the plastic shell, and items under the MPB would also show damage.

15. DJ-R macrumors regular

looks like it was dent during the manufacturing. There is no way possible to dent it during shipping.

The brown BOX leave a lot of room between the white Macbook Box. and the box inside the macbook has foam..

How it is possible to dent it with 5 inch of box spaces?

FOR second thought. You guys scared me HAHAHA because I just got my MacBook Pro today this morning and now I'm using it. You made me flip my laptop and CHECK for dents. I was scared.

16. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

True, very true, unless it was crushed... :)

17. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

huh.....through a thick carboard box into another thick cardboard box and quarter inch of top foam ?

i doubt it.....

this was done at the factory.....

18. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

That's why I'm thinking a refurb unit is the way to go. It undergoes further inspection than the new units do.

19. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Why do people post this here? Were not apple, were not going to do anything about it. Call apple.

20. eng42ine macrumors 68000

eng42ine

Perhaps the OP didn't know the proper way to go about things?

Or possibly he was looking for smart ass remarks from people like you....:rolleyes:

21. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I hear ya. So what it has dents? Exchange it with Apple and be done with it. It's not like this is the first time someone has bought a product from a big company and it was shipped damaged. I had 2 Macs in the last 2 years that were shipped to me from Apple with dents. I just sent them back for an exchange, no need to create a thread over it, what for? All this does is spread unnecessary FUD and nothing else.

22. tjb1 macrumors 68000

or the posts when is the new macbook coming out or i want this in the new macbook what do you think? We cant do anything, CALL APPLE.

23. jackapple thread starter macrumors member

I was just looking for smart ass remarks and I knew I could count on these forums... :cool:

Before I posted this I had already shipped it back to Apple via the return label they emailed me. They were very prompt and addressed the problem but it was definitely a manufacturing defect, as it really can't happen in shipping as others have stated. I only wish that the Apple Online Store allowed items to be returned/exchanged at retail stores, but oh well. They upgraded me to 2-day shipping from Hong Kong, so it should still be here around the time the original was scheduled to arrive.

I just knew there would be some empathetic minds here to make the wait more tolerable, so that's why I posted. We're all just sharing experiences here people—not looking for solutions from random MacRumors Forum posters...relax!

24. Heat305 macrumors newbie

That sucks, if you have an Apple store nearby take it back, if it is BTO. Then I wish you luck. I ordered the 2.66 13 inch and it came with a few dead pixels took it to the store, changed it on the spot. But wow dents out of the box is really unacceptable. Good Luck.

25. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

As Garp would say....its been pre-disastered.

Its like when you buy a brand new car the first thing you should do is crawl under it and dent the frame with a hammer...that way you get the bad karma out of the way up front.