My New MBP 15" i7 Review

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Reelknead1, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Reelknead1 macrumors 6502

Well after using a PPC 17" G4 for 3 years of college and a failed attempt to purchase a decent Santa Rosa MBP off ebay. I ended up purchasing a i7 MBP with a HR Glossy screen and a 128gb SSD.

Man the computer is fast compared to my PPC. I do have to say thought the sharp edges do dig in a bit on my wrists. Which i knew about before purchasing the computer. Overall I couldn't be happier with the computer.

The screen feels bigger then my old 17" even though it is physically smaller. As for running hot, the computer is currently sitting at 131F. When indexing the hard drive and surfing the web I had it up to 161F which is about 20 degrees higher then I had ever registered on my PPC but overall feels about the same temp when sitting on my lap.

Another observation is that I may have to upgrade the RAM to 8gb's in the future even though under normal use, I still have around 2gb's free. Under load the system gets somewhat low and i really haven't pushed it yet.

At college I watch a lot of TV shows on the computer and decided to test out an episode of "How I Met Your Mother" playing through VLC. Using GFX Control I kept it on intel and surprisingly the computer did not handle the video. It was skipping and pretty much unwatchable. When switching back to Nvidia the computer handled it with out much issue but still skipped once and a while. This could be attributed to the video being stored on my time capsule and accessing it through the home wifi.

Another great improvement is the SSD. Bootup time and the time needed to start up CS3 and other applications has decreased by 10 folds. I am currently copying "Space Balls" off of my time capsule to compress it in Handbrake, the current file size is 4.47gb. I'm interested in seeing how the computer handles it. My PPC would usually take 24 to 36 hours to compress a video of this size :eek:. So anything under a couple hours will be amazing. I will edit the thread with and update on that. I have been running the compression on the computer for the last 20 mins and the computer has not gone above 171F. It is consistantly around 165F, with the CPU at 390% for handbrake.

The screen brightness isn't as amazing as i thought it would be coming from a Apple made in 2004 I thought that the screen would be noticeably brighter.

Migration assistant was also great, I had 40gb of data on my PPC and was transferred to my MBP in about 40 mins through firewire 400 to 800 cable.

Overall I couldn't be happier with my comptuer, Some have complained about the text size with the HR screen but after using my iPhone 4 for a couple months and my young eyes, I have no issue using the screen without zooming in to read text. For anyone on the edge whether they should get a MBP, go for it they are great machines and worth the money. I am :D

2. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

I feel ya. Those Santa Rosa MBP are so hard to get.