My new MBP 2.4 15" has some problems...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aimfire, Feb 29, 2008.

1. aimfire macrumors regular

aimfire

Hey all,
    So I got a new MBP 2.4ghz, 15" Glossy (LED) on Tuesday and just finally got to setting it up last night and noticed some problems... :(

First off, I seem to have a variation of the "yellow tint" problem on the lower 3rd of the screen. It dosn't go across the entire width of screen, it's in the dead center of lower 3rd. A big yellowish/brown splotch that is noticeable on any web page with a white background, including the threads list on this site. It's not drastic, but definitely noticeable compared to my Cinema display and another Acer laptop I have here.

2nd issue, it gets RED HOT on the bottom of the laptop. Not just warm, but very HOT. I know laptops tend to get a little warm on the bottom, but this is ridiculous. Interestingly, the hot spot is not near the drive or the battery, but on the end side closest to the screen... pretty much where it says "Designed by Apple in California", right in the center there.

I have to wonder if the 2 problems are somehow related, because the yellowing of the screen and hot spot on the underside line up perfectly. Weird, huh? Anyone noticing the same...?

Well, I've only had it for 2 days, so this is going back the the Apple store on Friday, hopefully for a no-hassle exchange... :confused:

2. Hls811 macrumors 6502a

Hls811

I've got the 15" Matte 2.5 and don't have either issue. You should take it back for an exchange. The Penryns are running cooler than the older ones, so theres no reason it should get that hot.

3. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

I would agree with this assessment. By all accounts on these forums, the new MBPs do not seem to have the same yellow screen issues as did the last model and the heat is supposed to have gotten much better. You seem to have a defective model and Apple should replace it quickly and easily for you.

4. aimfire thread starter macrumors regular

aimfire

Yeah, that's what I heard too, about the Penryns being cooler. I had picked up the MBP to go check out the screen in a different room and that's when I felt the underside and was pretty disturbed by that hot spot area... I'm not exagerating, kind of felt like when you take a hot plate out of the microwave... not quite hot enough to burn you, but definitely not comfortable to the touch.

5. davidec macrumors regular

My 2.5 Penryn 15" Stock.

It gets pretty hot man. Try running a CPU and HD intensive app off battery power (I ran logic 8 with 24 tracks and 60 plug ins). I upgraded from the 2.4 Merom and I found the Merom got hotter in the left screen side but the Penryn appears to have a milder, more evenly spread heat distribution.

6. aimfire thread starter macrumors regular

aimfire

Yeah, that's the thing, I wasn't doing anything major with it, had it plugged in, just adjusting system settings, etc., and had Safari open to this forum. The fans never came on or anything like that. The underside was mostly normal, maybe slightly warm temperature, it was just that one VERY hot area on bottom, closest to screen.

7. RandiC macrumors member

Put I Stat Pro on your machine it will give you temps and fan speed. That way you can see if the fans are working.

8. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

i also have a 2.4 15" mbp and it runs very cool and has no color issues. take it back!

9. davidec macrumors regular

I'm sorry, but I don't think it's fair on Apple to mislead people into expecting a laptop that runs 'very cool'. Laptops get hot and the Penryn MBP is no exception.

OP : Do indeed check your lappie against another and have it checked over if you're genuinely concerned

10. aimfire thread starter macrumors regular

aimfire

Oh yeah, I expect them to run a little warm, but I'm telling you, this was HOT, and in just one area near the screen. I also have a 17" MBP, and it runs nowhere near as hot as this new 15" Penryn one.

Also remember, I have the yellowed screen issue as well - only had this MBP for 2 days, so it's definitely going back to the store for an exchange.

11. aimfire thread starter macrumors regular

aimfire

Ok, took your advice...
    The GPU Diode temp is peaking at 57 celsius, on battery power... does this sound normal compared to what everyone else is getting? According to the breakdown photos on Anandtech, the "hotspot" I was feeling on the bottom is where the GPU is located. The rest of the area under keyboard, etc. is only slightly warm, which is acceptable.

Both fans are running at around 2000 rpm, btw.

12. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

That is 134 f - with base fan speeds - I don't think there is any issue or problem with that at all.

13. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

if the computer was doing what he says it was when he discovered how hot it was, that is not normal and he should take it back and have it checked. not to mention the screen issue he has. computers don't typically run "hot" while doing low usage tasks.

14. PDE macrumors 68020

Agreed, as an INTERNAL temperature it's completely normal and what you'd expect. If that were the case temperature, there would be cause for worry!

15. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

that's normal.

16. aimfire thread starter macrumors regular

aimfire

Yup, you guys are right about the temperature. I did a little research and found that it is indeed "normal". So that's all good. :)

Problem is, I looked at the screen again this morning, in a different lighting condition, with well rested eyes... The bottom yellow is still there... acutally looks like it may have gotten worse. I mean, it's VERY obvious compared to my Cinema display and other laptops I have around the house.

So this one's going back to the store for an exchange today... I just bought the thing 5 days ago, so hopefully won't be a problem.

17. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

this is a theory that i came up... and some of my friends from the apple store kinda agreed..
    the yELLOW tint you see on the bottom is Exaggerated by the light reflection from your bottom case.. add that plus the lighting condition.

i'm not denying that a problem exist.. but
    1. if you look for it
    2. include the reflection

you got yourself a problem

but be careful, open the exchanged MBP at the store..
    what i don't want is dead pxels

18. PDE macrumors 68020

I wish you were right, but I don't think you are. If you were, then previous macbook pros and powerbooks with this design would have had similar issues. And, ALL MBPs today would have it and they don't. This yellowing issue seems to be directly related to the LED displays. One thing is for the entire display to have a slightly warmish tone when viewed straight on, but for just one small part of the display to be colored is obviously a defect.

I'm sure certain light conditions make the defect pop out more than others, but I really doubt the problem itself has anything to do lighting conditions or reflections. I don't understand why Apple has not been able to address this with its suppliers yet....it's obviously a problem that spans across different manufacturers so it must be an issue with this particular kind of display.

19. aimfire thread starter macrumors regular

aimfire

Yeah, has nothing to do with overhead lights or reflections, at least not in my situation. I've looked at the screen in both natural and normal household lighting... Even tilted screen and MBP back and forth to make sure it wasn't the viewing angle... it actually looks WORSE when you view it dead center, head on.

I also put the dock on bottom to see if I would still notice it... I notice it less, but what I see then is, the dock icons look dull and a little blurry. This is defnitely a screen issue.

20. higham macrumors newbie

i got one of these, not one problem, first mac aswell held out all last year incase i got the yellow screen but my pc died last week and they released these bad boys, so i jumped on board. proper ace and proper pleased with my purcase. i cant see faults at first glance and im not going to look for them any time soon.